Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row

After starting the season 13-1, the Miami Hurricanes have dropped the last two games. The most recent defeat came at the hands of ACC opponent Clemson 76-65 in South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Redshirt junior forward Jaron Blossomgame led the way for the Tigers (12-6, 5-1). He scored 25 points, 17 of which came in the second half, after only averaging 15.5 points per game coming into the contest. He was an efficient scorer as well, going 9-of-15 for the game and 6-of-7 in the second half.

The Canes (13-3, 2-2) faltered in several aspects of the game. One of the team strengths throughout the season has been forcing turnovers. The team came into the game averaging 19.9 turnovers per game. Saturday afternoon, it was only able to force eight turnovers. The Canes also struggled to defend the perimeter, another one of the team’s strengths. Coming into the day, Miami had held its last seven opponents to under 32 percent shooting from beyond the arc, a significantly lower percentage than the 44 percent that the Tigers shot.

The Canes struggled to score throughout the game, as only two players scored in double figures, including junior guard Davon Reed. Reed played well in the first half when the game was tightly contested, scoring 11 points in the first 20 minutes.

For most of the game, both teams were evenly matched with 10 lead changes between both teams. Led Blossomgame’s hot hand, Clemson went on a 10-0 run late to take a 70-60 lead, securing a Tiger win.

With the loss at Virginia last Tuesday, this is the first time all season the Canes have dropped consecutive games.

The Canes next play Boston College at 9 p.m. on Wednesday in Massachusetts.

About Author

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row”

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...