Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row

After starting the season 13-1, the Miami Hurricanes have dropped the last two games. The most recent defeat came at the hands of ACC opponent Clemson 76-65 in South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Redshirt junior forward Jaron Blossomgame led the way for the Tigers (12-6, 5-1). He scored 25 points, 17 of which came in the second half, after only averaging 15.5 points per game coming into the contest. He was an efficient scorer as well, going 9-of-15 for the game and 6-of-7 in the second half.

The Canes (13-3, 2-2) faltered in several aspects of the game. One of the team strengths throughout the season has been forcing turnovers. The team came into the game averaging 19.9 turnovers per game. Saturday afternoon, it was only able to force eight turnovers. The Canes also struggled to defend the perimeter, another one of the team’s strengths. Coming into the day, Miami had held its last seven opponents to under 32 percent shooting from beyond the arc, a significantly lower percentage than the 44 percent that the Tigers shot.

The Canes struggled to score throughout the game, as only two players scored in double figures, including junior guard Davon Reed. Reed played well in the first half when the game was tightly contested, scoring 11 points in the first 20 minutes.

For most of the game, both teams were evenly matched with 10 lead changes between both teams. Led Blossomgame’s hot hand, Clemson went on a 10-0 run late to take a 70-60 lead, securing a Tiger win.

With the loss at Virginia last Tuesday, this is the first time all season the Canes have dropped consecutive games.

The Canes next play Boston College at 9 p.m. on Wednesday in Massachusetts.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row”

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...