Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row

After starting the season 13-1, the Miami Hurricanes have dropped the last two games. The most recent defeat came at the hands of ACC opponent Clemson 76-65 in South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Redshirt junior forward Jaron Blossomgame led the way for the Tigers (12-6, 5-1). He scored 25 points, 17 of which came in the second half, after only averaging 15.5 points per game coming into the contest. He was an efficient scorer as well, going 9-of-15 for the game and 6-of-7 in the second half.

The Canes (13-3, 2-2) faltered in several aspects of the game. One of the team strengths throughout the season has been forcing turnovers. The team came into the game averaging 19.9 turnovers per game. Saturday afternoon, it was only able to force eight turnovers. The Canes also struggled to defend the perimeter, another one of the team’s strengths. Coming into the day, Miami had held its last seven opponents to under 32 percent shooting from beyond the arc, a significantly lower percentage than the 44 percent that the Tigers shot.

The Canes struggled to score throughout the game, as only two players scored in double figures, including junior guard Davon Reed. Reed played well in the first half when the game was tightly contested, scoring 11 points in the first 20 minutes.

For most of the game, both teams were evenly matched with 10 lead changes between both teams. Led Blossomgame’s hot hand, Clemson went on a 10-0 run late to take a 70-60 lead, securing a Tiger win.

With the loss at Virginia last Tuesday, this is the first time all season the Canes have dropped consecutive games.

The Canes next play Boston College at 9 p.m. on Wednesday in Massachusetts.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row”

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...