Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball fall to Clemson Tigers 76-65, lose second in a row

After starting the season 13-1, the Miami Hurricanes have dropped the last two games. The most recent defeat came at the hands of ACC opponent Clemson 76-65 in South Carolina on Saturday afternoon. Redshirt junior forward Jaron Blossomgame led the way for the Tigers (12-6, 5-1). He scored 25 points, 17 of which came in the second half, after only averaging 15.5 points per game coming into the contest. He was an efficient scorer as well, going 9-of-15 for the game and 6-of-7 in the second half.

The Canes (13-3, 2-2) faltered in several aspects of the game. One of the team strengths throughout the season has been forcing turnovers. The team came into the game averaging 19.9 turnovers per game. Saturday afternoon, it was only able to force eight turnovers. The Canes also struggled to defend the perimeter, another one of the team’s strengths. Coming into the day, Miami had held its last seven opponents to under 32 percent shooting from beyond the arc, a significantly lower percentage than the 44 percent that the Tigers shot.

The Canes struggled to score throughout the game, as only two players scored in double figures, including junior guard Davon Reed. Reed played well in the first half when the game was tightly contested, scoring 11 points in the first 20 minutes.

For most of the game, both teams were evenly matched with 10 lead changes between both teams. Led Blossomgame’s hot hand, Clemson went on a 10-0 run late to take a 70-60 lead, securing a Tiger win.

With the loss at Virginia last Tuesday, this is the first time all season the Canes have dropped consecutive games.

The Canes next play Boston College at 9 p.m. on Wednesday in Massachusetts.

Tej Joshi

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...