Basketball, Sports

Coach Meier earns 200th win as Hurricanes women’s basketball beat Tar Heels 76-61

Head Coach Katie Meier earned her 200th victory as head coach of the Hurricanes women’s basketball team, and her squad has won its fourth straight game on Sunday afternoon. No. 21 Miami defeated the North Carolina Tar Heels 76-61 in Chapel Hill in a contest that was more competitive than it might seem.

Through the first three quarters, the score was close with both teams going back and forth. The Canes (17-2, 5-1) took over in the fourth period to put the game out of reach thanks to an 11-2 run from the 7:49 mark to the 4:09 mark in the final quarter. During this run, the Canes showed off pinpoint passing as they assisted on every basket.

Miami benefitted from its three-point shooting, hitting nine to North Carolina’s three. The team also outrebounded the Tar Heels 43-37 and scored a whopping 24 bench points to the opponent’s zero. The Canes also scored 16 points off turnovers.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the team in scoring with 20 points, but the game ball definitely goes to freshman guard Laura Cornelius, who had the best overall performance with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Three of those assists came during the run in the fourth quarter.

Three North Carolina (12-8, 2-3) players scored in double figures, but the team only played six total players throughout the game. Fatigue could very well have been the reason for the Tar Heels’ weak final 10 minutes.

The Canes next face off against ACC rival Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 24 in the BankUnited Center.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Coach Meier earns 200th win as Hurricanes women’s basketball beat Tar Heels 76-61”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...