Basketball, Sports

Coach Meier earns 200th win as Hurricanes women’s basketball beat Tar Heels 76-61

Head Coach Katie Meier earned her 200th victory as head coach of the Hurricanes women’s basketball team, and her squad has won its fourth straight game on Sunday afternoon. No. 21 Miami defeated the North Carolina Tar Heels 76-61 in Chapel Hill in a contest that was more competitive than it might seem.

Through the first three quarters, the score was close with both teams going back and forth. The Canes (17-2, 5-1) took over in the fourth period to put the game out of reach thanks to an 11-2 run from the 7:49 mark to the 4:09 mark in the final quarter. During this run, the Canes showed off pinpoint passing as they assisted on every basket.

Miami benefitted from its three-point shooting, hitting nine to North Carolina’s three. The team also outrebounded the Tar Heels 43-37 and scored a whopping 24 bench points to the opponent’s zero. The Canes also scored 16 points off turnovers.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the team in scoring with 20 points, but the game ball definitely goes to freshman guard Laura Cornelius, who had the best overall performance with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Three of those assists came during the run in the fourth quarter.

Three North Carolina (12-8, 2-3) players scored in double figures, but the team only played six total players throughout the game. Fatigue could very well have been the reason for the Tar Heels’ weak final 10 minutes.

The Canes next face off against ACC rival Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 24 in the BankUnited Center.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...