Basketball, Sports

Coach Meier earns 200th win as Hurricanes women’s basketball beat Tar Heels 76-61

Head Coach Katie Meier earned her 200th victory as head coach of the Hurricanes women’s basketball team, and her squad has won its fourth straight game on Sunday afternoon. No. 21 Miami defeated the North Carolina Tar Heels 76-61 in Chapel Hill in a contest that was more competitive than it might seem.

Through the first three quarters, the score was close with both teams going back and forth. The Canes (17-2, 5-1) took over in the fourth period to put the game out of reach thanks to an 11-2 run from the 7:49 mark to the 4:09 mark in the final quarter. During this run, the Canes showed off pinpoint passing as they assisted on every basket.

Miami benefitted from its three-point shooting, hitting nine to North Carolina’s three. The team also outrebounded the Tar Heels 43-37 and scored a whopping 24 bench points to the opponent’s zero. The Canes also scored 16 points off turnovers.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley led the team in scoring with 20 points, but the game ball definitely goes to freshman guard Laura Cornelius, who had the best overall performance with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Three of those assists came during the run in the fourth quarter.

Three North Carolina (12-8, 2-3) players scored in double figures, but the team only played six total players throughout the game. Fatigue could very well have been the reason for the Tar Heels’ weak final 10 minutes.

The Canes next face off against ACC rival Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 24 in the BankUnited Center.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...