Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball improves to 16-2 with 71-60 win over Wake Forest

The No. 21 Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Wake Forest, 71-60, at the BankUnited Center on Thursday night. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes led the Canes to victory, matching her career-high of 22 points. Hayes, who also grabbed six rebounds, was an efficient scorer, as she shot 80 percent (8-of-10) from the field, which is a mark much higher than her season average of 50.4 percent.

“Without an unbelievable game by Keyona Hayes, which was unbelievable, I think we are sitting here with a loss,” Head Coach Katie Meier said.

Hayes’ stellar performance came on the heels of her switching to a new facemask. She first wore the mask in the loss to University of Virginia on Dec. 22, 2015 due to an unspecified facial injury.

Although Hayes played lights-out, the team collectively did not have a terrific performance. The game was closer than anticipated, as the Deacons Rating Percentage Index (RPI) rank is 182, second worst in the ACC behind only Clemson. RPI measures sports teams based on their wins, losses and strength of schedule.

“We were soft and a little bit sloppy tonight,” Meier said.

The Canes (16-2, 4-1) forced the Deacons into committing 24 turnovers, a common thread this season, as the Canes came into the game forcing an average of 19.6 turnover per game.

In addition to Hayes, junior guard Adrienne Motley was a key contributor, tallying 18 points and five rebounds.

Miami started the game with some shooting woes. Halfway through the first quarter the Canes had only converted one of their first eight shot attempts. Despite the meager shooting, the Canes got out to an early 12-4 lead. The Canes maintained the lead throughout the half, which ended with Miami up 37-29.

Wake Forest (9-8, 0-4) opened the third quarter with an 8-0 run to tie the game at 37. However, the Canes struck back with a 9-0 run of their own, allowing them to regain command of the game.

The remainder of the game came without much resistance from the Deacons, giving the Hurricanes their 16th win of the season.

After only a one-game home stand, the Canes will head to Chapel Hill for their next game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes women’s basketball improves to 16-2 with 71-60 win over Wake Forest”

1. roger says:

seriously, cant figure out what is more thrilling to watch
    girls basketball or watching paint dry

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...