Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball improves to 16-2 with 71-60 win over Wake Forest

The No. 21 Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Wake Forest, 71-60, at the BankUnited Center on Thursday night. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes led the Canes to victory, matching her career-high of 22 points. Hayes, who also grabbed six rebounds, was an efficient scorer, as she shot 80 percent (8-of-10) from the field, which is a mark much higher than her season average of 50.4 percent.

“Without an unbelievable game by Keyona Hayes, which was unbelievable, I think we are sitting here with a loss,” Head Coach Katie Meier said.

Hayes’ stellar performance came on the heels of her switching to a new facemask. She first wore the mask in the loss to University of Virginia on Dec. 22, 2015 due to an unspecified facial injury.

Although Hayes played lights-out, the team collectively did not have a terrific performance. The game was closer than anticipated, as the Deacons Rating Percentage Index (RPI) rank is 182, second worst in the ACC behind only Clemson. RPI measures sports teams based on their wins, losses and strength of schedule.

“We were soft and a little bit sloppy tonight,” Meier said.

The Canes (16-2, 4-1) forced the Deacons into committing 24 turnovers, a common thread this season, as the Canes came into the game forcing an average of 19.6 turnover per game.

In addition to Hayes, junior guard Adrienne Motley was a key contributor, tallying 18 points and five rebounds.

Miami started the game with some shooting woes. Halfway through the first quarter the Canes had only converted one of their first eight shot attempts. Despite the meager shooting, the Canes got out to an early 12-4 lead. The Canes maintained the lead throughout the half, which ended with Miami up 37-29.

Wake Forest (9-8, 0-4) opened the third quarter with an 8-0 run to tie the game at 37. However, the Canes struck back with a 9-0 run of their own, allowing them to regain command of the game.

The remainder of the game came without much resistance from the Deacons, giving the Hurricanes their 16th win of the season.

After only a one-game home stand, the Canes will head to Chapel Hill for their next game against the North Carolina Tar Heels at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes women’s basketball improves to 16-2 with 71-60 win over Wake Forest”

1. roger says:

seriously, cant figure out what is more thrilling to watch
    girls basketball or watching paint dry

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...