Campus Life, Construction, News, Video

Pool re-opening party offers live music, food

The University Center Pool’s reopening was celebrated today as students congregated on the Lakeside Patio for burgers and live music.

Composed of UM alumni, the band Talay energized the crowd of students in front of the newly opened pool deck. After having been closed for construction the entire fall semester, the pool’s opening had many students bubbling with excitement.

“I’m super excited. I swam all throughout high school and I can’t wait to start swimming again,” said Josh Sussman, a freshman studying biomedical engineering. “Honestly it brings the campus to a whole new level.”

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sebastian the Ibis lounges in an inflatable ring at the pool re-opening party Thursday afternoon. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Other freshmen weighed in on the pool’s reopening. Another first year biomedical engineering student, Ben Smith, expressed his enthusiasm.

“I’m a competitive swimmer, so [last semester]we lost our pool hours for club sports,” Smith said. “I’m really excited that the pool is open, I’ve already used it four or five times.”

“The pool’s beautiful, I love it,” said freshman Cathy Garrito. “I’m going to do swimming club next semester so that should be fun. I’m totally going to jump off the high dive.”

The outdoor pool is now open and available to all students. During the week the pool is open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekends.

David Ufberg

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...