Campus Life, Construction, News, Video

Pool re-opening party offers live music, food

The University Center Pool’s reopening was celebrated today as students congregated on the Lakeside Patio for burgers and live music.

Composed of UM alumni, the band Talay energized the crowd of students in front of the newly opened pool deck. After having been closed for construction the entire fall semester, the pool’s opening had many students bubbling with excitement.

“I’m super excited. I swam all throughout high school and I can’t wait to start swimming again,” said Josh Sussman, a freshman studying biomedical engineering. “Honestly it brings the campus to a whole new level.”

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sebastian the Ibis lounges in an inflatable ring at the pool re-opening party Thursday afternoon. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Other freshmen weighed in on the pool’s reopening. Another first year biomedical engineering student, Ben Smith, expressed his enthusiasm.

“I’m a competitive swimmer, so [last semester]we lost our pool hours for club sports,” Smith said. “I’m really excited that the pool is open, I’ve already used it four or five times.”

“The pool’s beautiful, I love it,” said freshman Cathy Garrito. “I’m going to do swimming club next semester so that should be fun. I’m totally going to jump off the high dive.”

The outdoor pool is now open and available to all students. During the week the pool is open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekends.

David Ufberg

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...