Campus Life, Construction, News, Video

Pool re-opening party offers live music, food

The University Center Pool’s reopening was celebrated today as students congregated on the Lakeside Patio for burgers and live music.

Composed of UM alumni, the band Talay energized the crowd of students in front of the newly opened pool deck. After having been closed for construction the entire fall semester, the pool’s opening had many students bubbling with excitement.

“I’m super excited. I swam all throughout high school and I can’t wait to start swimming again,” said Josh Sussman, a freshman studying biomedical engineering. “Honestly it brings the campus to a whole new level.”

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sebastian the Ibis lounges in an inflatable ring at the pool re-opening party Thursday afternoon. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Other freshmen weighed in on the pool’s reopening. Another first year biomedical engineering student, Ben Smith, expressed his enthusiasm.

“I’m a competitive swimmer, so [last semester]we lost our pool hours for club sports,” Smith said. “I’m really excited that the pool is open, I’ve already used it four or five times.”

“The pool’s beautiful, I love it,” said freshman Cathy Garrito. “I’m going to do swimming club next semester so that should be fun. I’m totally going to jump off the high dive.”

The outdoor pool is now open and available to all students. During the week the pool is open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekends.

David Ufberg

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...