Basketball, Sports

No. 8 men’s basketball gears up for deep postseason run

Redshirt junior Kamari Murphy (21) blocks a Dowling defender during the Fall exhibition game at the Bank United Center. The No. 8 Hurricanes men’s basketball team is currently ranked in the AP top ten for the first time since March 2013. Nick Gangemi // Editor in Chief

Redshirt junior Kamari Murphy (21) blocks a Dowling defender during the Fall exhibition game at the BankUnited Center. The No. 8 Hurricanes men’s basketball team is currently ranked in the AP top ten for the first time since March 2013. Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

The BankUnited Center has been sold out game after game this year, and for good reason. The men’s basketball team has had an impressive season thus far.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga’s squad came into the year with high expectations. The team has met them to this point, starting off the season with a record of 13-2 and a top-10 ranking. The No. 8 Canes have played unselfish basketball and clearly have adopted the concept of “wins over statistics.”

Miami had key victories early on, particularly over then-No. 16 Utah and then-No. 22 Butler in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. The team also has quality victories over Florida and Syracuse as well. The Canes’ only losses have come from Northeastern on a heartbreaking buzzer-beater and No. 13 Virginia on Tuesday night.

The seniors have led the way on this team just as they were expected to do. Redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan is Miami’s top scorer, averaging 16.1 points a game while shooting more than 53 percent from the field and 87 percent from the free-throw line.

Senior center Tonye Jekiri is averaging about the same number of points, blocks and rebounds as last season, but his field goal percentage has shot up to a career-high 58.4 percent. While already the team’s defensive anchor and leading rebounder, Jekiri has improved his scoring touch around the basket and his mid-range jump shot.

Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez has done well facilitating the offense and is shooting 41 percent from the field, a career-high mark.

Senior forward Ivan Cruz Uceda is not starting, but he continues to affect the game when his team needs him the most. When he is on the floor, he has arguably been the Canes’ most lethal three-point shooter. Uceda is shooting a career-high 54.1 percent from the field and a deadly 49.1 percent from three-point range. He has also improved his defense, which was once a glaring weakness of his.

Miami has benefited from its depth, often having multiple players from the starting lineup and the bench score in double figures. Sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton has played a pivotal role in Miami’s success, averaging over 11 points a game and shooting 52 percent coming off the bench.

The Hurricanes are poised to have their best season since the 2012-13 group that made it to the Sweet Sixteen if they continue to play at this level.

The Canes next face Clemson at 2 p.m. on Saturday in South Carolina.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...