‘No Stray Bullets’ campaign raises much-needed awareness

On Jan. 1, 2010, a six-year-old Italian tourist and his parents were dining at a restaurant in Midtown. Shortly after midnight, the boy was struck in the chest by a falling bullet that was shot in the air by an unidentified person. On Jan. 1, 2013, a man and his family celebrated New Year’s Eve just outside his home with fireworks. Moments after midnight, he was hit in the upper left shoulder by a stray bullet.

These are the alarming incidents that community leaders and police departments in Miami wish to eradicate as part of a larger campaign that warrants attention, not only in South Florida but across the nation. The issue of celebratory gunfire is one that could quickly turn someone’s New Year’s Eve into a day of mourning due to negligent gun owners.

While discussions about firearms and gun legislation have simmered into a hot political debate in the United States, the subject of celebratory gunfire has always been, for the most part, detached from the larger issue for several key reasons. For one, in many states, including Florida, celebratory gunfire is already illegal and is considered a first-degree misdemeanor. Nevertheless, these incidents, most of them committed without the intention to kill, are ceaseless and sometimes tragic.

On Dec. 29, 2015, police departments and community leaders of Miami joined forces for the 17th annual “No More Stray Bullets” campaign, which regains momentum on a yearly basis to speak out against the practice of firing bullets into the air to celebrate the New Year.

Needless to say, it seems like common sense to avoid this practice, yet celebratory gunfire still hurts individuals around the country. To prevent stunts like these, gun owners who recklessly engage in celebratory gunfire must be educated about how their actions could have drastic legal and safety-related consequences. This can be accomplished by raising awareness for the “No More Stray Bullets” campaign, especially during celebratory periods such as New Year’s Eve when such incidents are commonplace.

“There is no place for shooting a gun to celebrate,” Miami Police Chief Rodolfo Llanes said during December’s press conference. “Guns are used for hunting and other purposes for protection, not to celebrate.”

These are the words that need to resonate with local communities for the sake of innocent civilians. Those who treasure their Second Amendment rights should not abuse them. Despite the fact that the 2016 New Year celebrations have come to a close, there will likely be other similar incidents to come. The “No More Stray Bullets” is a worthy initiative that should be taken seriously and one that is likely to prevent more tragedies through the dissemination of an imperative, life-saving message.

Israel Aragon is a freshman majoring in neuroscience. 

Featured photo courtesy of Pixabay user Brett_Hondow

Israel Aragon Bravo

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...