News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: UM mobile app, library rules revised, hoverboards banned indoors

University of Miami Application

The University of Miami Information Technology department and communications department are revamping the university’s mobile application to update the software and increase user functionality and interactivity.

Numerous programs within the application are outdated. For example, the Coral Gables campus map currently does not have the Shalala Student Center (SCC) on it; the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle schedule has inaccurate timing info and the course lists miss many classes and have out-of-date course numbers. The application was created and last updated for the iPhone 4. Newer phone models show a smaller version of the application that does not fit current screen sizes. Also, it is impossible to utilize  the application without data usage or Wi-Fi.

Student Government Senate discussed ideas for improving the application at Wednesday’s meeting. Feedback will go through campus liaisons, who will later bring it to the respective departments.

New Library Rule

The library’s three-strike rule has been replaced with a new five-pass rule, allowing students to enter the library five times without their Cane Card before repercussions are enforced. The Campus Liaison Council helped to rectify the rule as they felt that the three-strike rule would deter students from attending the library and the word “strike” sounded too strong.

Hoverboards

Hoverboards are not permitted inside any university building according to Brandon Gross, the associate director of the SCC, who cited safety concerns as the reason.

Gross said that Nicholas Children Hospital have reported treating 54 people involved in hoverboard accidents. Forty-two of them have been for fractures.

Notes

• Free Metrorail passes to the Miller Medical School campus will be given out in February after the add-drop period to students who attend classes there for credits.

• The first 500 students who go to the women’s basketball game against Florida State University (FSU) on Jan. 24 will be able to enter the men’s basketball game against Duke University 30 minutes early on Jan. 25.

• Feb. 1 is the last day to file for candidacy for a Senate or Executive position in Student Government.

Marcus Lim

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...