News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: UM mobile app, library rules revised, hoverboards banned indoors

University of Miami Application

The University of Miami Information Technology department and communications department are revamping the university’s mobile application to update the software and increase user functionality and interactivity.

Numerous programs within the application are outdated. For example, the Coral Gables campus map currently does not have the Shalala Student Center (SCC) on it; the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle schedule has inaccurate timing info and the course lists miss many classes and have out-of-date course numbers. The application was created and last updated for the iPhone 4. Newer phone models show a smaller version of the application that does not fit current screen sizes. Also, it is impossible to utilize  the application without data usage or Wi-Fi.

Student Government Senate discussed ideas for improving the application at Wednesday’s meeting. Feedback will go through campus liaisons, who will later bring it to the respective departments.

New Library Rule

The library’s three-strike rule has been replaced with a new five-pass rule, allowing students to enter the library five times without their Cane Card before repercussions are enforced. The Campus Liaison Council helped to rectify the rule as they felt that the three-strike rule would deter students from attending the library and the word “strike” sounded too strong.

Hoverboards

Hoverboards are not permitted inside any university building according to Brandon Gross, the associate director of the SCC, who cited safety concerns as the reason.

Gross said that Nicholas Children Hospital have reported treating 54 people involved in hoverboard accidents. Forty-two of them have been for fractures.

Notes

• Free Metrorail passes to the Miller Medical School campus will be given out in February after the add-drop period to students who attend classes there for credits.

• The first 500 students who go to the women’s basketball game against Florida State University (FSU) on Jan. 24 will be able to enter the men’s basketball game against Duke University 30 minutes early on Jan. 25.

• Feb. 1 is the last day to file for candidacy for a Senate or Executive position in Student Government.

Marcus Lim

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...