Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball excels at midway point

Redshirt senior guard Michelle Woods (10) defends a River Hawk player during the December game against UMass Lowell in the BankUnited Center. The Hurricanes women’s basketball team started 10-0 and are currently ranked No. 21 in the country. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

As the college basketball season reaches its midway point, the Hurricanes have already torched preseason predictions. Coming into the season, the Canes (15-2, 3-1) were projected to finish sixth in the ACC and received just one vote in the AP poll. Today, the No. 21 Hurricanes are the third-highest-ranked team in the ACC, behind No. 3 Notre Dame and No. 16 Florida State.

The Canes began the season winning their first 10 games, just two shy of matching the school record set by the 2003 team. The team’s first loss came at the hands of then-No. 4 Baylor in a tightly contested game.

The team’s early success could be attributed to a relatively easy strength of schedule. The Canes’ Rating Percentage Index (RPI) rank stands at 40, significantly lower than their AP poll ranking. RPI is a ranking system that takes into account a team’s wins, losses and strength of schedule. Miami’s matchup versus Baylor is the only time they have faced a ranked opponent this season. The Canes have barely touched the tip of the iceberg in the powerful ACC and have only played four games in a conference that boasts five ranked teams.

Naismith Trophy Early Season Watch List selection Adrienne Motley leads the team. The junior guard is the team’s most aggressive and consistent scorer, averaging 15.9 points per game. Junior Jessica Thomas and redshirt senior Michelle Woods, both returning starters from last year’s NCAA Tournament team, accompany Motley in the backcourt. Thomas has done a solid job running the point, totaling 62 assists on the season. She is also a pit bull on defense, forcing opposing backcourts into committing turnovers.

Freshman Emese Hof took over the starting center position from sophomore Erykah Davenport 11 games into the season. Since then, Hof has done well controlling the paint, averaging 6.4 rebounds a game.

The Canes have had a strong season to this point and Head Coach Kate Meier’s squad should be able to make some noise in the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year.

The Canes next face Wake Forest at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the BankUnited Center.

Tej Joshi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes women’s basketball excels at midway point”

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...