Holiday events to visit for study breaks, outings with friends

Winter break is just around the corner, and most of us are hustling between exams, essays, work and events. However, there’s always time to get in the holiday spirit. While there’s no snow or hot chocolate by the fireplace in sunny South Florida, there’s still plenty of events to attend as a break from exams and to celebrate the end of the year with some friends before everyone heads home.

Santa’s Enchanted Forest

You’re never too old for a fun evening at the fair. Considering that the event at Tropical Park displays a beautiful show of millions of dazzling lights, festive Christmas music, rides and delicious foods from around the world – including hot chocolate and candy canes galore – it’s a pretty good deal for Miami. Santa’s Enchanted Forest also has South Florida’s tallest and biggest Christmas tree, something rare in palm tree land. The forest is open daily from 5 p.m. to midnight until Jan. 3.

Tropical Park is located at 7900 SW 40th St. in Miami.

La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel Holiday Market

Miami gets a tiny taste of a classic market tradition with La Feria del Mercado de San Miguel downtown. The market, open from noon to 9 p.m. through Jan. 6, features pop-up restaurants, booths with an array of gift items like jewelry, art and artisanal baked goods. This year, Bayfront Park’s famous Christmas tree will also be moved to La Feria.

La Feria is located at 301 Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami.

The Nutcracker

There are no rides or hot chocolate at this event, but plenty of holiday tunes in the performance. The Nutcracker by Miami City Ballet is the perfect way to relax and set the mood for the holiday break. Only in Miami from Dec. 17 to Dec. 24, the show includes Tchaikovsky songs, great performances and there’s even a rumor it’ll have magical snowfall. Who knows? It’s Miami, anything can happen.

The Ziff Ballet Opera House is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

John Waters Holiday Comedy Show

Putting a spin on the holiday cheer is famous cult filmmaker John Waters’s comedy show, which is sure to catch a good laugh. A John Waters Christmas: Holier and Dirtier features a mix of his bizarre sense of humor while examining holiday rituals, traditions and Waters’s fascination with Santa Claus in a mischievous monologue. The show, held at 8 p.m. on Dec. 14 will surely make you laugh, but be warned, it might get a little wild.

The Adrienne Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Christmas Near the Beach

There’s no other way of celebrating the holidays in Miami than next to the ocean. It’s your time to celebrate the holidays Florida-style at the Arts Park at Young Circle in Hollywood. A special showcase of Santa’s shack by the beach, instead of his typical cabin in the North Pole, makes for a great photo opportunity and probably a good laugh too. The event will feature ballet, flash mobs, musical productions, vendors and even a classic car show. The celebration is free and will take place Dec. 12 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Young Circle Park is located at 1 N. Young Cir. in Hollywood.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Stevebidmead

Correction, Dec. 16, 2015: This article originally stated that “The Nutcracker” would include “Tchaikovsky songs played by a live orchestra,” which was incorrect. The show will involve Tchaikovsky songs, but not by a live orchestra.

About Author

Donatella Vacca

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...