Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes to clash with Washington State Cougars in Sun Bowl

The Hurricanes are set to take on the Washington State Cougars in the Hyundai Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas on Dec. 26. The Canes last played in the Sun Bowl in 2010, when they lost 33-17 to historic rival Notre Dame.

Despite being selected into what is considered a Tier One bowl game, several Miami players expressed their frustration via Twitter, as they were gunning for the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City. Duke, who Miami beat on Oct. 31, will represent the ACC in the Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana.

Although the Canes were disappointed with the selection, they will still play hard in the final game of the season. “Just ’cause we wanted to rock with another bowl don’t mean we folding to any team that stand on that other sideline,” senior linebacker Tyriq McCord tweeted after the bowl decision was released.

The Hurricanes will take any opportunity to win a bowl game though, something they haven’t done since 2006. “It has been a long time. That’s important to us,” Interim Head Coach Larry Scott said. “[The players] know the situation. They know it’s been a little while.”

The Sun Bowl is excited for Miami’s return to El Paso. “Not only are they a good football team this year, but they bring an outstanding history and tradition,” Executive Director of the Sun Bowl Bernie Olivas said in a phone conversation with the Palm Beach Post.

After finishing the regular season with wins over Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh, the Canes (8-4, 5-3) come into the game riding high after an up-and-down season. The Canes should be able to capitalize on the porous Cougar defense that gave up 28.8 points per game this season. The team will play under Scott, despite the recent hiring of former Georgia Bulldogs Head Coach Mark Richt, who is expected to be in attendance. The Canes also played under an interim head coach (Jeff Soufland) in the 2010 Sun Bowl after Randy Shannon was fired following the end of the regular season.

Washington State (8-4, 6-3 Pac-12) leads all of college football in passing offense, making for an interesting opponent as the Canes’ defensive strength is their secondary, led by junior cornerback Artie Burns. Burns has an impressive six interceptions on the year, most in the ACC. Not only will the Canes need strong play from their defensive backs, but they will also need their defensive line to provide pressure on opposing quarterback Luke Falk, who is fourth in the nation in passing yards. The Cougars’ marquee win this season came when they defeated Oregon, now the No. 16-ranked team in college football. Falk threw a season-high 505 yards in the double-overtime win.

“We know it’s going to be a really good game with that wide open offense that Washington State brings to the table,” Scott said. “The whole Hurricanes family is excited about the opportunity to come back to El Paso. We’re excited to come out there and participate in that bowl.”

The Hurricanes face Washington State at 2 p.m. on Dec. 26 in El Paso.

Tej Joshi

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...