Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes to clash with Washington State Cougars in Sun Bowl

The Hurricanes are set to take on the Washington State Cougars in the Hyundai Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas on Dec. 26. The Canes last played in the Sun Bowl in 2010, when they lost 33-17 to historic rival Notre Dame.

Despite being selected into what is considered a Tier One bowl game, several Miami players expressed their frustration via Twitter, as they were gunning for the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City. Duke, who Miami beat on Oct. 31, will represent the ACC in the Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana.

Although the Canes were disappointed with the selection, they will still play hard in the final game of the season. “Just ’cause we wanted to rock with another bowl don’t mean we folding to any team that stand on that other sideline,” senior linebacker Tyriq McCord tweeted after the bowl decision was released.

The Hurricanes will take any opportunity to win a bowl game though, something they haven’t done since 2006. “It has been a long time. That’s important to us,” Interim Head Coach Larry Scott said. “[The players] know the situation. They know it’s been a little while.”

The Sun Bowl is excited for Miami’s return to El Paso. “Not only are they a good football team this year, but they bring an outstanding history and tradition,” Executive Director of the Sun Bowl Bernie Olivas said in a phone conversation with the Palm Beach Post.

After finishing the regular season with wins over Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh, the Canes (8-4, 5-3) come into the game riding high after an up-and-down season. The Canes should be able to capitalize on the porous Cougar defense that gave up 28.8 points per game this season. The team will play under Scott, despite the recent hiring of former Georgia Bulldogs Head Coach Mark Richt, who is expected to be in attendance. The Canes also played under an interim head coach (Jeff Soufland) in the 2010 Sun Bowl after Randy Shannon was fired following the end of the regular season.

Washington State (8-4, 6-3 Pac-12) leads all of college football in passing offense, making for an interesting opponent as the Canes’ defensive strength is their secondary, led by junior cornerback Artie Burns. Burns has an impressive six interceptions on the year, most in the ACC. Not only will the Canes need strong play from their defensive backs, but they will also need their defensive line to provide pressure on opposing quarterback Luke Falk, who is fourth in the nation in passing yards. The Cougars’ marquee win this season came when they defeated Oregon, now the No. 16-ranked team in college football. Falk threw a season-high 505 yards in the double-overtime win.

“We know it’s going to be a really good game with that wide open offense that Washington State brings to the table,” Scott said. “The whole Hurricanes family is excited about the opportunity to come back to El Paso. We’re excited to come out there and participate in that bowl.”

The Hurricanes face Washington State at 2 p.m. on Dec. 26 in El Paso.

Tej Joshi

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...