Football, Sports

Mark Richt will bring schematic expertise to Miami Hurricanes

Former University of Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt is taking over the Miami Hurricanes. Richt will bring his proven pro-style offense and an aggressive 4-3 defense, which will hopefully lead the Canes to future success. In fact, UM fans should be particularly excited, as Richt’s offensive and defensive schemes are similar to what the Hurricane teams of the early 2000s ran with great results.

Above all else, Richt’s offense is predicated on the run-game. He uses a ground-and-pound style in order to set up the passing attack. During his tenure with the Bulldogs, Richt’s program produced several pro-level backs, including Todd Gurley and Knowshon Moreno. Richt’s ability to make opposing defenses respect both aspects of the offense was a key reason his teams averaged an impressive 403.2 yards per game over his 15-year coaching career with UGA.

Although Richt’s offense is based on running, his system is still friendly to quarterbacks. His passing attack features crossing routes and quick three-step drops, both of which assist quarterbacks in maintaining a high completion percentage. In another example of pro-style play, Richt employed the “Dagger” concept throughout the 2015 season. Dagger plays are commonly used to take advantage of Cover 2 defensive schemes in which the safeties split the field into two halves. This quick-strike system perfectly complements the strengths of sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya.

Richt specializes in coaching quarterbacks, another bonus for Kaaya. He served as the Florida State quarterbacks coach from 1990-93 and then as offensive coordinator in addition to QB coach from 1994-2000. During that time, he coached two Heisman quarterbacks, Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke. He also coached several successful quarterbacks at Georgia, including Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray. His success with previous quarterbacks indicates a strong year for Kaaya on the horizon.

Richt is not bringing his UGA defensive coordinator, Jeremy Pruitt, with him to the Hurricanes. However, expect Richt to implement a similar defensive style at Miami. Pruitt ran a 4-3 scheme, in which the strength of the defense was the front seven, just as it was for the last great UM teams.

Richt oversaw a first-class program at Georgia. He went 145-51 in his time with UGA and finished in the AP Top 25 in 11 of his 15 seasons. Hopefully, his success with the Bulldogs carries over to his time here with the Hurricanes.

About Author

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...