Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions Winter Wonderland features festive, free activities

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with the several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP.
Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

Hurricane Productions (HP) hosted its annual Winter Wonderland event at the Rock and in the University Center (UC) on Friday night.

Despite inclement weather that hit Miami this weekend, a line of students ran from the UC to the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. Activities included a mechanical snowboard, stilt dancers and Stuff-a-Plush. Students were also able to create their own “cookie in a jar,” decorate gingerbread houses, paint holiday ornaments and watch a screening of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Sophomore neuroscience major Sirisha Gaddipati said that she enjoyed her night even though there were no snow-making machines this year.

“I love the shirts they give out at Winter Wonderland. It’s such a fun tradition to get one every year. I was a little disappointed that there was no snow machine this year, but the screening of ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ was a classy touch in lieu of the snow fun,” she said.

Students lined up for frozen coffee and plates of pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns. Freshman Nicole Newton attended the event for the first time and liked the idea of having breakfast for dinner at the holiday party.

“The best part of Winter Wonderland was definitely all the food. My friends and I had the IHOP breakfast for dinner, which was a really cool idea. I can’t wait to go again next year,” Newton said.

The event was a welcome distraction for many students who were preparing for the rush of final exams.

The late night programming board Canes Night Live (CNL) and the motion-picture entertainment board Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) co-hosted the event. Both CNL and CAC are subcommittees of HP, the largest student-run organization on campus. HP provides free, on-campus entertainment for students.

Emmi Velez

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...