Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions Winter Wonderland features festive, free activities

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with the several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP. Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

On Friday night, sophomore Nishma Jain decorates a gingerbread house with several hundred students who attended Winter Wonderland in the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by Canes Night Live, this event had giveaways including long-sleeved shirts, holiday mugs, cookie jars, stuffed animals and breakfast food from IHOP.
Shreya Chidarala // Assistant Photo Editor

Hurricane Productions (HP) hosted its annual Winter Wonderland event at the Rock and in the University Center (UC) on Friday night.

Despite inclement weather that hit Miami this weekend, a line of students ran from the UC to the Donna E. Shalala Student Center. Activities included a mechanical snowboard, stilt dancers and Stuff-a-Plush. Students were also able to create their own “cookie in a jar,” decorate gingerbread houses, paint holiday ornaments and watch a screening of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

Sophomore neuroscience major Sirisha Gaddipati said that she enjoyed her night even though there were no snow-making machines this year.

“I love the shirts they give out at Winter Wonderland. It’s such a fun tradition to get one every year. I was a little disappointed that there was no snow machine this year, but the screening of ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’ was a classy touch in lieu of the snow fun,” she said.

Students lined up for frozen coffee and plates of pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns. Freshman Nicole Newton attended the event for the first time and liked the idea of having breakfast for dinner at the holiday party.

“The best part of Winter Wonderland was definitely all the food. My friends and I had the IHOP breakfast for dinner, which was a really cool idea. I can’t wait to go again next year,” Newton said.

The event was a welcome distraction for many students who were preparing for the rush of final exams.

The late night programming board Canes Night Live (CNL) and the motion-picture entertainment board Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) co-hosted the event. Both CNL and CAC are subcommittees of HP, the largest student-run organization on campus. HP provides free, on-campus entertainment for students.

Emmi Velez

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...