Health, News

Dr. Steven Altschuler appointed as senior vice president of health affairs, CEO of UHealth

few months ago, the new leader of the UHealth system at the University of Miami was working on a startup company. At the time, he had no plans on taking charge of an expanding professional and academic healthcare system in January, 2016.

Dr. Steven Altschuler, the new senior vice president of health affairs and CEO of UHealth at UM, was developing the gene therapy company Spark Therapeutics when he was approached about about joining UM. Spark Therapeutics is a spin-off of the Center of Cellular and Molecular Therapeutics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), which he retired from in June. He will now be responsible for leading the school’s clinical health system, including hospitals, faculty practice and clinics. He will also report directly to President Julio Frenk.

“There’s an old saying about leading: good leaders manage the present while creating the future and selectively forgetting the past,” Dr. Altschuler said about shaping his new position. “Nothing at UHealth needs change right away.”

Dr. Altschuler’s work at CHOP included a long-term working relationship with Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. He had worked with a network of 50 clinical care sites at CHOP and said that expanding UHealth’s network is increasingly important. For example, the upcoming opening of the 200,000-square-foot Lennar Foundation Medical Center on Coral Gables campus in the fall of 2016 will bring together services from the school’s existing facilities and provide urgent care and outpatient surgery, among other services. He said that healthcare networks are becoming more important because of federal healthcare policies.

“With the new Affordable Care Act, there’s a push to provide care at the right time in the right place with the right services,” Dr. Altschuler said. “You need a network of care.”

President Frenk said in the hiring announcement on Nov. 24 that he valued Dr. Altschuler’s experience in both administration and deliverance of health care.

“Steven Altschuler has a wealth of experience as a leader in both health care administration and the delivery of excellent and compassionate patient care. As senior vice president of health affairs, he will spearhead UHealth’s continued advancement as a world-class academic medical enterprise serving the Americas and beyond,” President Frenk said.

Frenk’s experience as the minister of public health in Mexico and dean of the Harvard Medical School, among other healthcare administration positions, showed Dr. Altschuler that the school was committed to improving and building on its existing healthcare network.

“I hit it off really well with President Frenk when we met … obviously he’s a leader in public health,” Dr. Altschuler said.

Dr. Altschuler is still working on finding a house in South Florida but said that he and his wife were excited about the move. They knew that if they moved again after his retirement, it would be for warmer weather. Dr. Altschuler will start in his new position on Jan. 1, 2016.

William Riggin

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...