Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Video

Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research

Sixteen teams and 80 players participated in Delta Epsilon Psi (DEP)’s annual Dodging Diabetes fundraiser at the Herbert Wellness Center to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday.

The double-elimination dodgeball tournament raised almost $3,000 through registration fees and outside donations for the major non-profit charity that works to fund research on Type 1 diabetes. The turnout surpassed the two previous editions of the tournament according Ishtpreet Singh, a member and former president of the service and social fraternity.

“It was an amazing turnout, and it was really humbling to see how everyone comes together whether they’re Greek or not Greek to help support this amazing cause,” Singh said.

The winning team, Canes Hockey Obliterates Dodgeball Enemies, left with a $100 cash prize for their efforts.

DEP Vice President Param Desai was delighted with how the event turned out.

“A lot of people had fun,” he said. “Overall, it was good I would say.”

DEP is planning another philanthropy event for the upcoming semester called “Sugar Spike-Off.” Desai hopes the volleyball tournament in the spring can make a similar impact like Saturday’s Dodging Diabetes event.

Correction, Dec. 7, 12:08 p.m.: An earlier version of this article referred to Param Desai as “she.” 

David Ufberg

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...