Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Video

Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research

Sixteen teams and 80 players participated in Delta Epsilon Psi (DEP)’s annual Dodging Diabetes fundraiser at the Herbert Wellness Center to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday.

The double-elimination dodgeball tournament raised almost $3,000 through registration fees and outside donations for the major non-profit charity that works to fund research on Type 1 diabetes. The turnout surpassed the two previous editions of the tournament according Ishtpreet Singh, a member and former president of the service and social fraternity.

“It was an amazing turnout, and it was really humbling to see how everyone comes together whether they’re Greek or not Greek to help support this amazing cause,” Singh said.

The winning team, Canes Hockey Obliterates Dodgeball Enemies, left with a $100 cash prize for their efforts.

DEP Vice President Param Desai was delighted with how the event turned out.

“A lot of people had fun,” he said. “Overall, it was good I would say.”

DEP is planning another philanthropy event for the upcoming semester called “Sugar Spike-Off.” Desai hopes the volleyball tournament in the spring can make a similar impact like Saturday’s Dodging Diabetes event.

Correction, Dec. 7, 12:08 p.m.: An earlier version of this article referred to Param Desai as “she.” 

David Ufberg

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...