Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Video

Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research

Sixteen teams and 80 players participated in Delta Epsilon Psi (DEP)’s annual Dodging Diabetes fundraiser at the Herbert Wellness Center to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday.

The double-elimination dodgeball tournament raised almost $3,000 through registration fees and outside donations for the major non-profit charity that works to fund research on Type 1 diabetes. The turnout surpassed the two previous editions of the tournament according Ishtpreet Singh, a member and former president of the service and social fraternity.

“It was an amazing turnout, and it was really humbling to see how everyone comes together whether they’re Greek or not Greek to help support this amazing cause,” Singh said.

The winning team, Canes Hockey Obliterates Dodgeball Enemies, left with a $100 cash prize for their efforts.

DEP Vice President Param Desai was delighted with how the event turned out.

“A lot of people had fun,” he said. “Overall, it was good I would say.”

DEP is planning another philanthropy event for the upcoming semester called “Sugar Spike-Off.” Desai hopes the volleyball tournament in the spring can make a similar impact like Saturday’s Dodging Diabetes event.

Correction, Dec. 7, 12:08 p.m.: An earlier version of this article referred to Param Desai as “she.” 

David Ufberg

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...