Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Video

Dodging Diabetes tournament raises funds for Type 1 diabetes research

Sixteen teams and 80 players participated in Delta Epsilon Psi (DEP)’s annual Dodging Diabetes fundraiser at the Herbert Wellness Center to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation on Saturday.

The double-elimination dodgeball tournament raised almost $3,000 through registration fees and outside donations for the major non-profit charity that works to fund research on Type 1 diabetes. The turnout surpassed the two previous editions of the tournament according Ishtpreet Singh, a member and former president of the service and social fraternity.

“It was an amazing turnout, and it was really humbling to see how everyone comes together whether they’re Greek or not Greek to help support this amazing cause,” Singh said.

The winning team, Canes Hockey Obliterates Dodgeball Enemies, left with a $100 cash prize for their efforts.

DEP Vice President Param Desai was delighted with how the event turned out.

“A lot of people had fun,” he said. “Overall, it was good I would say.”

DEP is planning another philanthropy event for the upcoming semester called “Sugar Spike-Off.” Desai hopes the volleyball tournament in the spring can make a similar impact like Saturday’s Dodging Diabetes event.

Correction, Dec. 7, 12:08 p.m.: An earlier version of this article referred to Param Desai as “she.” 

About Author

David Ufberg

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...