Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes soar past Coppin State Eagles in 78-59 win

With a 78-59 victory over the Coppin State Eagles at the BankUnited Center on Friday night, the Hurricanes improved to 9-0 and inched closer to matching its best start in team history. The team began the 2003 season 12-0.

Although the game was a win, it wasn’t the cleanest for the Canes. Miami committed 20 turnovers and failed to capitalize on numerous lose ball opportunities.

“Credit to Coppin State. They made us play ugly,” Head Coach Kate Meier said.

Meier also attributes the Canes’ sloppy play to fatigue and lack of practice.

“Honestly we have not really been able to practice; to be honest, we have been game prep, game prep and game prep. I would love the opportunity to clean this up,” Meier said. “We did not even practice yesterday because the Illinois game was so tough and so emotional.”

Despite the turnovers and chaotic play, there were plenty of positives for the Hurricanes to take away. Junior guard Jessica Thomas recorded an impressive stat line with 16 points, five assist and two steals. Canes also dominated the Eagles in a plethora of hustle categories. Miami scored 29 points off turnovers, compared to Coppin State’s 15. The Hurricanes were also strong on the boards, hauling in 44 rebounds, 17 of which came off the offensive glass.

Miami’s defense was strong from start to finish, as the Canes never trailed in the contest. The Eagles (2-5) were held scoreless for the first three minutes of the game. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes led the defensive effort, recording three of the Canes’ 11 steals.

A strange moment in the early going of the second quarter brought a short pause to the game. A number of screws and bolts appeared to fall from the jumbotron.

“I have no idea. It looked like a bunch of washers rained down. I couldn’t really tell what it was,” Thomas said.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley left the game midway through the second quarter after running into a hard screen. Miami’s leading scorer coming into Friday’s contest received medical attention from the training staff and returned to the game at the beginning of the second half.

The team has been receiving votes from the AP poll and could potentially be ranked in the next AP poll released Sunday.

“I do without question believe we are a top-25 team,” Meier said.

The Canes next play UMass Lowell at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the BankUnited Center.

Tej Joshi

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...