Blogs, UBuzz

Yik Yak reacts to President Frenk’s letter about campus diversity, inclusivity

University of Miami President Julio Frenk released a letter Thursday morning detailing the school’s plans to promote inclusivity. The plan involves admitting and matriculating “the largest percentage of black students among our peer institutions,” in addition to directing more resources toward the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA).

See More: President Frenk strives to foster campus inclusivity

In response to Frenk’s letter, members of the UM community took to the anonymous social media app Yik Yak to share their thoughts and arguments. Posts were both for and against Frenk’s letter.

See More: President Frenk’s full letter to the UM community

IMG_3893IMG_3891IMG_3892IMG_3885IMG_3887IMG_3888

United Black Students President Te’Quan Taylor was not surprised by the anonymous posts.

“It seems that every time progress is made, or seemingly made, students take to Yik Yak, an anonymous social media platform, to voice their concerns,” Taylor said over email. “I am ashamed that a portion of our student body thinks that an increase in black students and faculty is synonymous with a decrease in qualifications. That simply isn’t true.”

Taylor disagreed with students’ use of an anonymous medium to air their concerns.

“If we aren’t able to have these critical conversations with individuals from completely different backgrounds who have disparate views, then there is no hope for understanding,” he said. “Conversation drives understanding. Understanding drives progress.”

Similar reactions were had in December of 2014 after a “Black Lives Matter” protest happened on campus. More than 200 students protested the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

See More: Dramatic ‘Black Lives Matter’ demonstration gives voice to voiceless

The protest sparked an online conversation about racial issues at UM after racist comments were posted to Yik Yak. Former UM President Donna E. Shalala and students had back-and-forth dialogue about the reactions to the protest.

Ultimately, Shalala established the “Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns” in February 2015 to assess campus climate for black students.

Sherman Hewitt

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...