Blogs, UBuzz

Yik Yak reacts to President Frenk’s letter about campus diversity, inclusivity

University of Miami President Julio Frenk released a letter Thursday morning detailing the school’s plans to promote inclusivity. The plan involves admitting and matriculating “the largest percentage of black students among our peer institutions,” in addition to directing more resources toward the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA).

See More: President Frenk strives to foster campus inclusivity

In response to Frenk’s letter, members of the UM community took to the anonymous social media app Yik Yak to share their thoughts and arguments. Posts were both for and against Frenk’s letter.

See More: President Frenk’s full letter to the UM community

IMG_3893IMG_3891IMG_3892IMG_3885IMG_3887IMG_3888

United Black Students President Te’Quan Taylor was not surprised by the anonymous posts.

“It seems that every time progress is made, or seemingly made, students take to Yik Yak, an anonymous social media platform, to voice their concerns,” Taylor said over email. “I am ashamed that a portion of our student body thinks that an increase in black students and faculty is synonymous with a decrease in qualifications. That simply isn’t true.”

Taylor disagreed with students’ use of an anonymous medium to air their concerns.

“If we aren’t able to have these critical conversations with individuals from completely different backgrounds who have disparate views, then there is no hope for understanding,” he said. “Conversation drives understanding. Understanding drives progress.”

Similar reactions were had in December of 2014 after a “Black Lives Matter” protest happened on campus. More than 200 students protested the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

See More: Dramatic ‘Black Lives Matter’ demonstration gives voice to voiceless

The protest sparked an online conversation about racial issues at UM after racist comments were posted to Yik Yak. Former UM President Donna E. Shalala and students had back-and-forth dialogue about the reactions to the protest.

Ultimately, Shalala established the “Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns” in February 2015 to assess campus climate for black students.

Sherman Hewitt

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...