Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Semester statistics shed light on campus crime

An average of one crime is being recorded by police every day on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus in the three and a half months since the school’s fall semester began. University of Miami Police Department crime logs showed 105 crimes in the 105 days from Aug. 18th until Nov. 1, not including eight that were classified as “unfounded.” Eight were listed as having arrests made, one was listed as cleared and another was listed as a trespass warning being issued; the disposition for all crimes without these classifications was “open.”

Thefts, larcenies and burglaries made up the vast majority of those crimes with 50. 23 narcotics violations occurred during the same time; 14 were listed at Hecht Residential College, five were listed at Stanford Residential College, two were listed at both Eaton Residential College and the University Village, while Mahoney Residential College had one.

One sexual assault, one “sexual battery/assault,” and one sex offense were listed. Eight instances of simple battery or assault were recorded.

Seven instances of both fraud and vandalism have also been recorded.

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.07.43 AM

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.08.03 AM

Infographics by Savanah Debrosse

About Author

William Riggin

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...