Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Semester statistics shed light on campus crime

An average of one crime is being recorded by police every day on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus in the three and a half months since the school’s fall semester began. University of Miami Police Department crime logs showed 105 crimes in the 105 days from Aug. 18th until Nov. 1, not including eight that were classified as “unfounded.” Eight were listed as having arrests made, one was listed as cleared and another was listed as a trespass warning being issued; the disposition for all crimes without these classifications was “open.”

Thefts, larcenies and burglaries made up the vast majority of those crimes with 50. 23 narcotics violations occurred during the same time; 14 were listed at Hecht Residential College, five were listed at Stanford Residential College, two were listed at both Eaton Residential College and the University Village, while Mahoney Residential College had one.

One sexual assault, one “sexual battery/assault,” and one sex offense were listed. Eight instances of simple battery or assault were recorded.

Seven instances of both fraud and vandalism have also been recorded.

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.07.43 AM

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.08.03 AM

Infographics by Savanah Debrosse

William Riggin

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...