Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Semester statistics shed light on campus crime

An average of one crime is being recorded by police every day on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus in the three and a half months since the school’s fall semester began. University of Miami Police Department crime logs showed 105 crimes in the 105 days from Aug. 18th until Nov. 1, not including eight that were classified as “unfounded.” Eight were listed as having arrests made, one was listed as cleared and another was listed as a trespass warning being issued; the disposition for all crimes without these classifications was “open.”

Thefts, larcenies and burglaries made up the vast majority of those crimes with 50. 23 narcotics violations occurred during the same time; 14 were listed at Hecht Residential College, five were listed at Stanford Residential College, two were listed at both Eaton Residential College and the University Village, while Mahoney Residential College had one.

One sexual assault, one “sexual battery/assault,” and one sex offense were listed. Eight instances of simple battery or assault were recorded.

Seven instances of both fraud and vandalism have also been recorded.

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.07.43 AM

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 12.08.03 AM

Infographics by Savanah Debrosse

William Riggin

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...