Opinion, Staff Editorial

Frenk’s letter, Task Force report promise tangible changes

This hasn’t been a good year for inclusivity on college campuses.

With the racial tensions that have intensified at the University of Missouri, Yale University and other universities over these past months, there is increased scrutiny over what responsibilities schools should assume for the safety and well-being of their students.

The letter President Julio Frenk released today invites us to think more about what diversity and belonging truly mean. Frenk also outlined a few clear, concrete plans of action that are elaborated further in a report published by the Presidential Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns.

Click here to read President Julio Frenk’s letter.

The increased funds and prominence given to the Multicultural Student Association (MSA) stood out as a smart move to support genuine improvement in terms of campus services. The MSA already provides practical, valuable services for the student community, such as book loans and guidance services. With the administration’s support, the MSA can do even more for diverse students in need.

Frenk also introduced plans to recruit more black students and faculty.

Upon first glance, Frenk’s bold goal to matriculate the largest percentage of black students among peer institutions seems too ambitious. Yet, with black students making up only 9 percent of our student body, the University of Miami still has one of the highest black student enrollments among a cohort of 30 aspirational peer institutions listed in the Task Force report.

Schools like Harvard University and Duke University have already raised their freshman matriculation rate of black students to 11 percent since 2013. It only seems right that UM also puts more effort into attracting talented black students from around the country.

Along those lines, the plans to recruit more black faculty through retention packages and networking seem necessary. As we reported last February, only 4 percent of faculty in 2014 identified as African American. Ideally, a more diverse faculty will increase the feeling of belonging for black students and will also enrich the experiences of all students.

As true beneficiaries of free speech, we understand that the protection of worthy ideas is inextricable from the protection of those that are ugly and harmful. Some of the language used in Frenk’s letter invites additional questions: in taking actions against racism and damaging speech, have consequences already been enacted? To what extent will the university prevent or intervene on controversial or damaging acts taken by individuals?

Yet overall, Frenk’s letter is purposeful and reflective. It is a promise that UM can and will do better to live up to our diverse image, and it shows Frenk takes his work with the Task Force seriously enough to offer something more than the usual vague, empty supplications we hear too often from official figures. Maybe this hasn’t been a great year for inclusivity for colleges around the nation, but perhaps the next few years can be better, at least on this campus.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

President Julio Frenk’s letter is available online at themiamihurricane.com. The most updated report compiled by the Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns will be available at miami.edu/provost. 

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Frenk’s letter, Task Force report promise tangible changes”

1. Diane says:

Please, let’s not forget that diversity doesn’t come only in black and white. The University of Miami is way more diverse than most colleges, both in faculty and students. The faculty and students come from countries all over the globe. The college is rich in different nationalities, and diversity.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...