Campus Life, News

‘Conga for a Cause’ raises money to establish wireless Internet connection in Cuba

Members of the University of Miami’s Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) held the annual Conga for a Cause event on the University Center Patio on Wednesday afternoon. The event raised money for Connect Cuba, a project by the Foundation for Human Rights to connect people in Cuba by establishing a wireless Internet connection.

Participants paid a flat rate of $5 for a T-Shirt and a Cuban food buffet. Students played dominos, a popular table game in Cuba and among Cuban students in FEC. Others lined up to try their arm at the dunk tank. Members of FEC hoped that Conga for a Cause would raise both money and awareness for the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba.

Vice president and junior psychology and sociology major Sarah Betancourt expanded on the organization’s involvement with the Foundation for Human Rights and the Connect Cuba project.

“Conga for a Cause is our annual charity event that we hold in the Fall. The past years we’ve raised money for the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba and one of their campaigns is called Connect Cuba,” she said. “They’re trying to get Wi-Fi and internet over to Cuba so they can communicate and not be as isolated as they are currently.”

According to the World Bank, Cuba is currently the country with the least broadband internet in the Western Hemisphere.

Jose Mota-Lebron, a general body member of FEC and freshman economics major, attended the event for the first time.

“I had a good time with everyone at FEC. They had a lot of good food and music, I watched them play dominos and we just hung out. It was a good time and the money is going towards a cool cause,” he said.

Last year’s Conga for a Cause event raised more than $700 to benefit the Foundation for Human Rights in Cuba. FEC hoped to surpass last year’s record.

FEC works to increase campus awareness of many aspects of Cuban culture for Cubans and non-Cubans alike. The Week of Cuban Culture, the organization’s largest event, will be held in the spring and include a new event to further educate students on Cuban traditions and culture.

“Our largest event is the Week of Cuban Culture that is coming in the Spring, the first week of March. There are a bunch of awesome events, and the opening ceremonies take place in February … This year we will have a new event, our Salsa night, where we will teach everyone how to dance,” Betancourt said.

Emmi Velez

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...