Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball season ends in 3-0 loss to Iowa State

The Hurricanes kicked off its quest for a national championship in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Iowa State in Madison, Wisconsin on Thursday evening. Unfortunately, those hopes were dashed in three sets by the Cyclones. The Canes weren’t at their best and the team ran into an Iowa State squad that was firing on all cylinders throughout the match.

The first set was closely contested, and was tied 12-12 midway through. However, right before the first media timeout the Cyclones scored three crucial points to put Iowa State out in front 15-12. Led by freshman outside hitter Anna Haak and senior middle blocker Alexis Mourning, the Canes battled back multiple times in the opening set but was never able to take full advantage of the opportunities, as the Cyclones took the first set 25-21.

The Canes (21-10) came out determined in the second set, but the Cyclones matched the intensity in what was another competitive set. Miami’s strong performance forced Iowa State to call a timeout down 13-10. The set got all the way to a 24-24 tie before Iowa State rallied to score the last two points in what was a devastating blow to Miami’s chances.

The Canes showed a great amount of resilience in the final set and took an 11-10 lead on the Cyclones at one point, but in the end the team just ran out of gas. Fatigue set in and Iowa State (19-10) was able to take control of the third set after a timeout. Iowa State closed out the match with a third set victory by the score of 25-20.

It was certainly a tough way to go out for the seniors, but the Canes have a very bright future. The roster is full of young talent, including Haak who recorded a team-high 11 kills in her first NCAA match.

This was Miami’s third straight NCAA Tournament bid under Head Coach Jose Gandara and seventh consecutive tournament berth overall.

Cody Brown

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...