Football, Sports

Reports: Mark Richt will be next head coach of Miami Hurricanes

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Former Hurricane Mark Richt is coming back to the University of Miami as head coach, as first reported by Peter Ariz of CanesInSight.com. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy and Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel reported the same. According to Brody Logan – an UM alum – of Fox News, the school will announce the hire tomorrow. The school has not yet confirmed the hire.

Richt, who was a star quarterback at Boca Raton High, graduated from UM in 1982 after backing up Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly in the early 1980s. Richt was fired from the University of Georgia on Sunday after 15 seasons in the tough SEC, possessing a career record of 145-51. At Georgia, he won two SEC titles, had nine 10-win seasons and was 9-5 in bowl games. The Bulldogs finished the 2015 regular season 9-3.

Miami’s new head coach was in high demand following his dismissal at Georgia. Richt said on Monday that “about five” schools had already contacted him. According to multiple reports, Richt interviewed for the UM job on Tuesday and the University of Virginia job earlier Wednesday.

Richt said in a press conference on Monday that he would like to be more involved in his next coaching gig. “I’ll say this: if and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again, in terms of being hands-on,” he said. “I miss coaching quarterbacks. I miss calling plays. I miss that part of it.”

Before taking over at Georgia ahead of the 2001 season, Richt spent a decade as an offensive assistant coach at Florida State under Bobby Bowden. Richt is a strong recruiter inside and outside of South Florida, having a top-10 ranked class by ESPN each of the last six seasons at Georgia.

Richt would take over for Larry Scott, who was 4-1 as interim head coach after replacing Al Golden on Oct. 25. Golden was fired following the team’s 58-0 defeat at home to Clemson, the worst loss in UM history. It is unknown if Scott will remain on the staff.

Photo courtesy Flickr user FLC.

Mark Singer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...