Football, Sports

Reports: Mark Richt will be next head coach of Miami Hurricanes

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Photo Courtesy Red&Black

Former Hurricane Mark Richt is coming back to the University of Miami as head coach, as first reported by Peter Ariz of CanesInSight.com. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy and Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel reported the same. According to Brody Logan – an UM alum – of Fox News, the school will announce the hire tomorrow. The school has not yet confirmed the hire.

Richt, who was a star quarterback at Boca Raton High, graduated from UM in 1982 after backing up Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly in the early 1980s. Richt was fired from the University of Georgia on Sunday after 15 seasons in the tough SEC, possessing a career record of 145-51. At Georgia, he won two SEC titles, had nine 10-win seasons and was 9-5 in bowl games. The Bulldogs finished the 2015 regular season 9-3.

Miami’s new head coach was in high demand following his dismissal at Georgia. Richt said on Monday that “about five” schools had already contacted him. According to multiple reports, Richt interviewed for the UM job on Tuesday and the University of Virginia job earlier Wednesday.

Richt said in a press conference on Monday that he would like to be more involved in his next coaching gig. “I’ll say this: if and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again, in terms of being hands-on,” he said. “I miss coaching quarterbacks. I miss calling plays. I miss that part of it.”

Before taking over at Georgia ahead of the 2001 season, Richt spent a decade as an offensive assistant coach at Florida State under Bobby Bowden. Richt is a strong recruiter inside and outside of South Florida, having a top-10 ranked class by ESPN each of the last six seasons at Georgia.

Richt would take over for Larry Scott, who was 4-1 as interim head coach after replacing Al Golden on Oct. 25. Golden was fired following the team’s 58-0 defeat at home to Clemson, the worst loss in UM history. It is unknown if Scott will remain on the staff.

Photo courtesy Flickr user FLC.

Mark Singer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...