Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes ride late run to defeat Illinois Fighting Illini

The Hurricanes improved to 8-0 with a 73-64 win over Illinois as part of the Big 10/ACC Challenge in the BankUnited Center on Wednesday night. The victory was fueled by a late fourth quarter 16-0 surge by the Canes.

The Hurricanes started off slow, going down 9-0 in the first two and a half minutes of the game. Head Coach Kate Meier elected not to call a timeout or make any substitutions, but instead let her team fight through the adversity. The Canes fulfilled their coach’s hopes as they countered the Illini run with an 11-0 run of their own.

The game remained closely contested until the second quarter, when Illinois (4-1) broke away thanks to strong three-point shooting. They shot 5-of-13 from downtown in the first half, compared to Miami’s 1-of-10 first half three-point shooting.

Illinois led 35-28 going into the half. Illini freshman Cierra Rice led all scorers with 12 first half points.

As the teams exchanged buckets and turnovers, the Fighting Illini maintained about a seven-point lead throughout the third quarter and the early part of the fourth quarter. Then at the nine-minute mark of the fourth quarter, the Canes went on a game-defining 16-0 run to retake the lead 65-57. The run was led by junior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas, predominantly Thomas’s facilitating and Motley’s scoring. Motley finished the game with a game-high 24 points, marking her sixth straight game scoring in double figures.

The Canes warded off any last- minute comeback efforts by the Illini.

Despite both teams undefeated records entering the matchup, the game was surprisingly sloppy. Coming into the game the Illini averaged 19 turnovers a game, but in today’s contest they committed a whopping 26 turnovers. The story did not drastically differ for the Canes, as they committed 18 turnovers. The Hurricanes took advantage of the numerous Illini miscues by scoring 34 points off of turnovers.

“We played uncharacteristically sloppy,” Meier said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes contained Illinois’s leading scorer center Chatrice White, as she could only score six points. She had been averaging 20.3 point per game coming into the matchup. Credit should be given to freshman forward Emese Hof, who guarded White most of the night.

“I think Erykah [Davenport] and Emese took it real personally. We did not have a ton of time to prepare, but they took it very personally and they are known for their ability to defend,” Meier said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes next face Coppin State at 7 p.m. on Friday at the BankUnited Center.

Tej Joshi

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...