Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hold off Cornhuskers, win 77-72 in overtime

The No. 21 Hurricanes traveled to Lincoln for a heated matchup against Nebraska on Tuesday night. It was hotly contested throughout, but the Canes were able to escape with a 77-72 overtime victory in the final seconds.

The first half was marked by up and down play from both teams. In the opening minutes, redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan drained a three to reach the 1500-point milestone for his career. He followed this up with a strong first-half performance with seven points heading into the locker room. However, the real star of the first half was true freshman forward Anthony Lawrence.

In a coming out party of sorts, Lawrence, who came into the game averaging only five points per game, doubled that in the first half alone. This flurry of points included a monstrous put-back dunk that set the tone for the Canes.

Miami’s defense was another story in the first half. Coming off a lackluster effort in an upset loss to Northeastern, many expected the Canes (6-1) to step it up on defense. Unfortunately, the Canes had difficulty guarding against the three ball for the second game in a row as they allowed Nebraska to make six threes in the first half. Even with a poor defensive effort, the Canes escaped the first half with a 37-36 lead.

The second half was almost the opposite of the first, as both teams’ halftime adjustments were very apparent. The Canes came out much more focused on defense, holding Nebraska (5-3) to only three three-pointers in the second half. On the other hand, the offense sputtered a bit and didn’t pick back up until the end of regulation. Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez, who scored a team-high 15 points, had an opportunity to make yet another clutch three as time expired but was unable to convert on a desperation heave as the buzzer sounded.

Both teams started lethargically in overtime but the intensity picked up in the last three minutes of the extra period. Rodriguez came up with a clutch steal, and junior guard Devon Reed chipped in with a clutch three for his only field goal of the night to put the Canes up for good.

The Hurricanes next play Charlotte at 4 p.m. on Saturday at the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...