Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes hold off Cornhuskers, win 77-72 in overtime

The No. 21 Hurricanes traveled to Lincoln for a heated matchup against Nebraska on Tuesday night. It was hotly contested throughout, but the Canes were able to escape with a 77-72 overtime victory in the final seconds.

The first half was marked by up and down play from both teams. In the opening minutes, redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan drained a three to reach the 1500-point milestone for his career. He followed this up with a strong first-half performance with seven points heading into the locker room. However, the real star of the first half was true freshman forward Anthony Lawrence.

In a coming out party of sorts, Lawrence, who came into the game averaging only five points per game, doubled that in the first half alone. This flurry of points included a monstrous put-back dunk that set the tone for the Canes.

Miami’s defense was another story in the first half. Coming off a lackluster effort in an upset loss to Northeastern, many expected the Canes (6-1) to step it up on defense. Unfortunately, the Canes had difficulty guarding against the three ball for the second game in a row as they allowed Nebraska to make six threes in the first half. Even with a poor defensive effort, the Canes escaped the first half with a 37-36 lead.

The second half was almost the opposite of the first, as both teams’ halftime adjustments were very apparent. The Canes came out much more focused on defense, holding Nebraska (5-3) to only three three-pointers in the second half. On the other hand, the offense sputtered a bit and didn’t pick back up until the end of regulation. Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez, who scored a team-high 15 points, had an opportunity to make yet another clutch three as time expired but was unable to convert on a desperation heave as the buzzer sounded.

Both teams started lethargically in overtime but the intensity picked up in the last three minutes of the extra period. Rodriguez came up with a clutch steal, and junior guard Devon Reed chipped in with a clutch three for his only field goal of the night to put the Canes up for good.

The Hurricanes next play Charlotte at 4 p.m. on Saturday at the BankUnited Center.

Cody Brown

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...