Homebodies can have fun, too

College tends to conjure up images of roaring party scenes, and the University of Miami has one of the best.

So when I, a proud homebody, call up friends from home and don’t talk about the crazy times I have, they tell me that I’m “wasting my college experience.”

But am I? Just because we stay in (or stay dry) through high school and college doesn’t mean we don’t have our own share of experiences that are just as legitimate and rewarding.

While UM is a certifiable party school on the surface, this culture isn’t the pervasive across the board. On weekends when I’m not back at home an hour away, I enjoy solo shopping at Sunset Place and advance screenings at the Cosford Cinema. Often, there is no greater pleasure than lounging in bed, gazing up at twinkling dorm lights and pressing “next episode” on Netflix for the umpteenth time. Friends of homebodies, take note: we may not always have plans, but we’re okay with that.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether you can barely remember your Saturday night or if you remember every “Arrested Development” episode you binge-watched in detail. The key for both homebodies and the rest of the student body is to never dismiss someone else’s idea of a good time. Someday, we might even run into each other at a bar – or more likely, on a snack run to Target – and laugh about why we ever thought there needed to be only one type of fun.

Grace Wehniainen is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user tookapic

Grace Wehniainen

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...