Homebodies can have fun, too

College tends to conjure up images of roaring party scenes, and the University of Miami has one of the best.

So when I, a proud homebody, call up friends from home and don’t talk about the crazy times I have, they tell me that I’m “wasting my college experience.”

But am I? Just because we stay in (or stay dry) through high school and college doesn’t mean we don’t have our own share of experiences that are just as legitimate and rewarding.

While UM is a certifiable party school on the surface, this culture isn’t the pervasive across the board. On weekends when I’m not back at home an hour away, I enjoy solo shopping at Sunset Place and advance screenings at the Cosford Cinema. Often, there is no greater pleasure than lounging in bed, gazing up at twinkling dorm lights and pressing “next episode” on Netflix for the umpteenth time. Friends of homebodies, take note: we may not always have plans, but we’re okay with that.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether you can barely remember your Saturday night or if you remember every “Arrested Development” episode you binge-watched in detail. The key for both homebodies and the rest of the student body is to never dismiss someone else’s idea of a good time. Someday, we might even run into each other at a bar – or more likely, on a snack run to Target – and laugh about why we ever thought there needed to be only one type of fun.

Grace Wehniainen is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user tookapic

Grace Wehniainen

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...