Homebodies can have fun, too

College tends to conjure up images of roaring party scenes, and the University of Miami has one of the best.

So when I, a proud homebody, call up friends from home and don’t talk about the crazy times I have, they tell me that I’m “wasting my college experience.”

But am I? Just because we stay in (or stay dry) through high school and college doesn’t mean we don’t have our own share of experiences that are just as legitimate and rewarding.

While UM is a certifiable party school on the surface, this culture isn’t the pervasive across the board. On weekends when I’m not back at home an hour away, I enjoy solo shopping at Sunset Place and advance screenings at the Cosford Cinema. Often, there is no greater pleasure than lounging in bed, gazing up at twinkling dorm lights and pressing “next episode” on Netflix for the umpteenth time. Friends of homebodies, take note: we may not always have plans, but we’re okay with that.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether you can barely remember your Saturday night or if you remember every “Arrested Development” episode you binge-watched in detail. The key for both homebodies and the rest of the student body is to never dismiss someone else’s idea of a good time. Someday, we might even run into each other at a bar – or more likely, on a snack run to Target – and laugh about why we ever thought there needed to be only one type of fun.

Grace Wehniainen is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user tookapic

Grace Wehniainen

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...