Homebodies can have fun, too

College tends to conjure up images of roaring party scenes, and the University of Miami has one of the best.

So when I, a proud homebody, call up friends from home and don’t talk about the crazy times I have, they tell me that I’m “wasting my college experience.”

But am I? Just because we stay in (or stay dry) through high school and college doesn’t mean we don’t have our own share of experiences that are just as legitimate and rewarding.

While UM is a certifiable party school on the surface, this culture isn’t the pervasive across the board. On weekends when I’m not back at home an hour away, I enjoy solo shopping at Sunset Place and advance screenings at the Cosford Cinema. Often, there is no greater pleasure than lounging in bed, gazing up at twinkling dorm lights and pressing “next episode” on Netflix for the umpteenth time. Friends of homebodies, take note: we may not always have plans, but we’re okay with that.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether you can barely remember your Saturday night or if you remember every “Arrested Development” episode you binge-watched in detail. The key for both homebodies and the rest of the student body is to never dismiss someone else’s idea of a good time. Someday, we might even run into each other at a bar – or more likely, on a snack run to Target – and laugh about why we ever thought there needed to be only one type of fun.

Grace Wehniainen is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user tookapic

Grace Wehniainen

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...