Art, Edge

Art Basel brings creative events to Miami

Attendees of Art Basel 2014 peruse the Miami Beach Convention Center. The annual exhibition displays works of modern and contemporary art from around the world. Rori Kotch // Contributing Photographer

Art Basel Miami Beach is back, and there are plenty of scheduled events for this year’s fair, ranging from cultural celebrations to the 267 gallery exhibits open to the public this weekend. As finals begin, here are some student-friendly events that will provide the perfect way to take a study break.

Art Beat Miami

Open through Sunday, Art Beat Miami is bringing together local, national and international artists who share their work and murals in Little Haiti. From 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day, the Caribbean Marketplace, a social gathering space of art and food at the Little Haiti Cultural Complex, will be filled with jazz and roots music, steel drums, and delicious dishes. For a schedule of events, visit artbeatmiami.com/schedule.

The Caribbean Marketplace is located at 5925 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami.

Bubbles & Brunch with Roz Chast

You don’t have to travel far to get to this event, which will take place right on campus at the Lowe Art Museum. The New Yorker cartoonist and author Roz Chast will be at the museum on Sunday for breakfast beginning at 10 a.m., followed by a talk and book signing at 11:30 a.m. in the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse. For more information, visit miami.edu/lowe.

The Lowe Art Museum is located at 1301 Stanford Drive in Miami.

The Portal

The Portal, a gold shipping container housed at the Sagamore Hotel in Miami Beach, is a project aimed at allowing the public to engage in talking with strangers from around the world through an experience of casual conversation. From 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, visitors are invited to have a 20-minute conversation in the container with a person from Iran, Honduras, Mexico or Afghanistan along with a translator. To reserve a portal time, visit sharedstudios.com/miami.

The Sagamore Hotel is located at 1671 Collins Ave. in Miami Beach.

PULSE

This beachside contemporary art fair, which runs through Saturday, will host more than 85 local and international exhibitors in two large tents. Throughout the event, visitors will see large-scale projects and performances in a space featuring the works of both emerging and established galleries. The fair at Indian Beach Park will conclude with a sunset celebration from 5-7 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $15 for students who show IDs. For tickets, visit pulse-art.com.

Indian Beach Park is located at 4601 Collins Ave. in Miami Beach.

Holoscenes

Artists in the Holoscenes art installation will be performing in elevator-sized water tanks as the space is filled and drained by a water system. The project is meant to tell a story of rising seas and climate change in a way that provokes thought. The installation, a vision of technical director Erin Lin, a University of Miami alumnus who studied theatre arts, will be free to the public. Performances will take place at the Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus. For details, visit mdclivearts.org.

Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus is located at 300 N.E. Second Ave. in Miami.

Scope

The art show in Miami Beach will be filled with contemporary works from 120 international exhibitors of 22 countries and 57 cities with gallery booths set up in a pavilion to showcase this year’s creations. The show runs through Sunday. For event details, visit scope-art.com.

Scope Art Show is located at 801 Ocean Drive in Miami Beach.

Emily Dabau

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Art Basel brings creative events to Miami”

1. Krystal says:

The School of Business is actually a partner with Art Miami, it’s happening from the 1st to the 6th in Wynwood! The booth is awesome too, definitely check it out if you’re there (booth P2); it’s an interactive screen and artists are drawing custom art and we’re printing and sticking it onto the wall as our very own installation!

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...