Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: UM dining halls not as bad as people say

Every time I talk to my roommate about the dining hall, she never has anything nice to say. She thinks the food options are awful and that the facilities don’t earn a star in her book, either. However, I tend to disagree with her assessment. Our dining halls are really, really nice and I think we should take some time to consider the options. It could be a lot worse. Trust me.

My mother’s dining hall was a crime against nature compared to our dining halls. The place only had two categories of food, hot and cold, or, as she described it – hot and salad. The meals didn’t change day-to-day or week-to-week like ours do. Take-out options didn’t exist either. The only way she survived was by stealing cereal out of the dining hall. But that example’s too extreme, right? We’re not living in the 1980s, so we shouldn’t act like it. Let’s imagine our dining hall is like a typical all-you-can-eat buffet.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been to a nice, clean and acceptable buffet. If they exist, they’re a rarity for the franchise as a whole. The places are grimy, gross and somewhere I’d never want to be in, let alone eat in.

Our dining halls are nice, clean and you can sit in them to get work done while eating whenever you feel hungry.

Let’s compare food. All-you-can-eat buffets have the same food served day in, day out. Our dining halls on the other hand feature different dishes week to week and day to day, promising a variety of choices and flavors so you never get tired of your favorite dish.

Lastly, takeout is an option at a typical buffet, but it costs extra. At the dining hall, take out costs the same as a meal and has nicer foods with more variety. They’re even different from the foods in the dining hall itself! Buffets may let you take out food, but will just give you the same food in the restaurant; some don’t even let you take food home.

The dining hall isn’t perfect, but it’s not bad either. We’re really lucky to have the system that we do, even if it gets a bit monotonous at times. The food could be worse. The facilities could be worse. And we’re really lucky to have all the friendly workers there who put up with our shenanigans. The dining hall is great, and you can’t convince me otherwise.

Virginia Colkley

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...