Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Man arrested after grabbing University of Miami student

Sciandria

Sciandria

A 49-year-old man was arrested and charged with one count of battery on Thanksgiving after allegedly following and grabbing a female student’s buttocks in a University of Miami parking lot, according to the Coral Gables Police Department. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the BankUnited Center on Nov. 15, at approximately 8:27 p.m., according to police.

Richard Salvatore Sciandria was arrested on Nov. 26, following a tip from a Miami Beach resident who had seen a picture of the defendant included in a crime alert issued to the community the day after the incident. The resident called the University of Miami Police Department upon seeing the crime alert, “…advising that the subject of the crime alert strongly resembled the subject that attacked her and her daughter on 2012,” according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit states that officers met the defendant’s father on Nov. 18 and he identified his son as the person shown in the crime alert picture, but “advised his son had left the residence and was not returning his calls.” Cutler Bay Police then identified Sciandria on Nov. 26 and UMPD detectives arrested him, according to CGPD.

Sciandria, a resident of Cutler Bay, previously pleaded no contest to one count of lewd and lascivious behavior and one count of resisting an officer without violence, according to Miami-Dade County court records filed on Jan. 2, 2012. County Court Judge Maria D. Ortiz ordered Sciandria to six months of probation at the time, according to court records filed on Jan. 3, 2012.

William Riggin

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...