Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Man arrested after grabbing University of Miami student

Sciandria

Sciandria

A 49-year-old man was arrested and charged with one count of battery on Thanksgiving after allegedly following and grabbing a female student’s buttocks in a University of Miami parking lot, according to the Coral Gables Police Department. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the BankUnited Center on Nov. 15, at approximately 8:27 p.m., according to police.

Richard Salvatore Sciandria was arrested on Nov. 26, following a tip from a Miami Beach resident who had seen a picture of the defendant included in a crime alert issued to the community the day after the incident. The resident called the University of Miami Police Department upon seeing the crime alert, “…advising that the subject of the crime alert strongly resembled the subject that attacked her and her daughter on 2012,” according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit states that officers met the defendant’s father on Nov. 18 and he identified his son as the person shown in the crime alert picture, but “advised his son had left the residence and was not returning his calls.” Cutler Bay Police then identified Sciandria on Nov. 26 and UMPD detectives arrested him, according to CGPD.

Sciandria, a resident of Cutler Bay, previously pleaded no contest to one count of lewd and lascivious behavior and one count of resisting an officer without violence, according to Miami-Dade County court records filed on Jan. 2, 2012. County Court Judge Maria D. Ortiz ordered Sciandria to six months of probation at the time, according to court records filed on Jan. 3, 2012.

William Riggin

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...