Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Man arrested after grabbing University of Miami student

Sciandria

Sciandria

A 49-year-old man was arrested and charged with one count of battery on Thanksgiving after allegedly following and grabbing a female student’s buttocks in a University of Miami parking lot, according to the Coral Gables Police Department. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the BankUnited Center on Nov. 15, at approximately 8:27 p.m., according to police.

Richard Salvatore Sciandria was arrested on Nov. 26, following a tip from a Miami Beach resident who had seen a picture of the defendant included in a crime alert issued to the community the day after the incident. The resident called the University of Miami Police Department upon seeing the crime alert, “…advising that the subject of the crime alert strongly resembled the subject that attacked her and her daughter on 2012,” according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit states that officers met the defendant’s father on Nov. 18 and he identified his son as the person shown in the crime alert picture, but “advised his son had left the residence and was not returning his calls.” Cutler Bay Police then identified Sciandria on Nov. 26 and UMPD detectives arrested him, according to CGPD.

Sciandria, a resident of Cutler Bay, previously pleaded no contest to one count of lewd and lascivious behavior and one count of resisting an officer without violence, according to Miami-Dade County court records filed on Jan. 2, 2012. County Court Judge Maria D. Ortiz ordered Sciandria to six months of probation at the time, according to court records filed on Jan. 3, 2012.

William Riggin

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...