Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Man arrested after grabbing University of Miami student

Sciandria

Sciandria

A 49-year-old man was arrested and charged with one count of battery on Thanksgiving after allegedly following and grabbing a female student’s buttocks in a University of Miami parking lot, according to the Coral Gables Police Department. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the BankUnited Center on Nov. 15, at approximately 8:27 p.m., according to police.

Richard Salvatore Sciandria was arrested on Nov. 26, following a tip from a Miami Beach resident who had seen a picture of the defendant included in a crime alert issued to the community the day after the incident. The resident called the University of Miami Police Department upon seeing the crime alert, “…advising that the subject of the crime alert strongly resembled the subject that attacked her and her daughter on 2012,” according to the arrest affidavit.

The affidavit states that officers met the defendant’s father on Nov. 18 and he identified his son as the person shown in the crime alert picture, but “advised his son had left the residence and was not returning his calls.” Cutler Bay Police then identified Sciandria on Nov. 26 and UMPD detectives arrested him, according to CGPD.

Sciandria, a resident of Cutler Bay, previously pleaded no contest to one count of lewd and lascivious behavior and one count of resisting an officer without violence, according to Miami-Dade County court records filed on Jan. 2, 2012. County Court Judge Maria D. Ortiz ordered Sciandria to six months of probation at the time, according to court records filed on Jan. 3, 2012.

William Riggin

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...