Administration, News

Dr. Steven M. Altschuler named CEO of UHealth, senior vice president of health affairs at UM

Altschuler

Altschuler

Dr. Steven M. Altschuler has been named chief executive officer of UHealth, the University of Miami Health System, and senior vice president of health affairs at the University of Miami.

Altschuler previously served as president and CEO of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and The Children’s Hospital Foundation, holding the positions for 15 years. He will begin work in his new position on Jan. 1, 2016.

Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt, who formerly held the positions, will continue to serve as dean of the Miller School of Medicine. The appointment was announced in an email sent by President Julio Frenk to the University of Miami Community.

“Dr. Altschuler is an eminently recognized and respected physician and health care administrator,” Frenk said in the email.

“I am extremely grateful for the University’s confidence in me to lead this amazing system, along with the help of a skilled and dedicated team,” Altschuler said in the announcement. “The opportunity to be part of the institution during such an innovative era in health care and scientific research is exciting.”

Altschuler will be responsible for the “strategic and operational leadership” of the school’s healthcare system and will report to Frenk, according to the email.

“I am deeply grateful to Dean Goldschmidt for his decade of leadership in building UHealth and overseeing the impressive growth of the University’s health care operations, while also improving the quality of research and education at the Miller School of Medicine,” Frenk wrote. “Dean Goldschmidt has expressed his desire to focus now on the academic mission of the school and to continue leading the strategy to achieve ever higher levels of excellence.”

Nick Gangemi

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...