Administration, News

Dr. Steven M. Altschuler named CEO of UHealth, senior vice president of health affairs at UM

Altschuler

Altschuler

Dr. Steven M. Altschuler has been named chief executive officer of UHealth, the University of Miami Health System, and senior vice president of health affairs at the University of Miami.

Altschuler previously served as president and CEO of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and The Children’s Hospital Foundation, holding the positions for 15 years. He will begin work in his new position on Jan. 1, 2016.

Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt, who formerly held the positions, will continue to serve as dean of the Miller School of Medicine. The appointment was announced in an email sent by President Julio Frenk to the University of Miami Community.

“Dr. Altschuler is an eminently recognized and respected physician and health care administrator,” Frenk said in the email.

“I am extremely grateful for the University’s confidence in me to lead this amazing system, along with the help of a skilled and dedicated team,” Altschuler said in the announcement. “The opportunity to be part of the institution during such an innovative era in health care and scientific research is exciting.”

Altschuler will be responsible for the “strategic and operational leadership” of the school’s healthcare system and will report to Frenk, according to the email.

“I am deeply grateful to Dean Goldschmidt for his decade of leadership in building UHealth and overseeing the impressive growth of the University’s health care operations, while also improving the quality of research and education at the Miller School of Medicine,” Frenk wrote. “Dean Goldschmidt has expressed his desire to focus now on the academic mission of the school and to continue leading the strategy to achieve ever higher levels of excellence.”

Nick Gangemi

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...