Dr. Steven M. Altschuler named CEO of UHealth, senior vice president of health affairs at UM

Altschuler
Altschuler

Dr. Steven M. Altschuler has been named chief executive officer of UHealth, the University of Miami Health System, and senior vice president of health affairs at the University of Miami.

Altschuler previously served as president and CEO of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and The Children’s Hospital Foundation, holding the positions for 15 years. He will begin work in his new position on Jan. 1, 2016.

Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt, who formerly held the positions, will continue to serve as dean of the Miller School of Medicine. The appointment was announced in an email sent by President Julio Frenk to the University of Miami Community.

“Dr. Altschuler is an eminently recognized and respected physician and health care administrator,” Frenk said in the email.

“I am extremely grateful for the University’s confidence in me to lead this amazing system, along with the help of a skilled and dedicated team,” Altschuler said in the announcement. “The opportunity to be part of the institution during such an innovative era in health care and scientific research is exciting.”

Altschuler will be responsible for the “strategic and operational leadership” of the school’s healthcare system and will report to Frenk, according to the email.

“I am deeply grateful to Dean Goldschmidt for his decade of leadership in building UHealth and overseeing the impressive growth of the University’s health care operations, while also improving the quality of research and education at the Miller School of Medicine,” Frenk wrote. “Dean Goldschmidt has expressed his desire to focus now on the academic mission of the school and to continue leading the strategy to achieve ever higher levels of excellence.”