Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News, Student Organization

‘The Hunting Ground’ addresses sexual assault on college campuses

The screening of a documentary film about how the issue of sexual assault is handled in college communities was followed by a discussion of the topic on Tuesday afternoon.

The conversation followed the screening of “The Hunting Ground” at the Cosford Cinema, which was presented by the student organization Canes Consent. It focused on how college campuses, including the University of Miami, can better meet the needs of sexual assault survivors. The film featured stories of women who had experienced sexual assault and were ignored or mishandled by their college’s administration in order to keep the school’s sexual assault statistics low.

According to the documentary, a staggering amount of sexual assaults were reported to campus officials throughout a number of years with a significantly low result of consequence for the perpetrators. It also alludes to administrations’ wariness over sexual assault claims due to fear of false reporting when only 2 to 7 percent of sexual assaults reported are false.

Women and Gender Studies Professor Katharine Westaway introduced the film to the audience and said that, according to the Association of American Universities, 27 percent of undergraduate women and 5 percent of undergraduate men will be sexually assaulted before they earn their degree.

“That means that 389 women this year and 68 men will be assaulted at UM,” Westaway said.

The documentary highlighted the journey of two sexual assault survivors to make a change on college campuses by helping other survivors file Title IX complaints against the institutions for their failure to punish the alleged perpetrators of the assault.

Title IX was created to protect students from discrimination of any sort while they pursue their education. UM has recently hired a full-time Title IX employee in charge of making sure this portion of the Educational Amendments of 1972 is upheld. However, the employee works in the Dean of Students Office, where many Title IX complaints are sent, so there is a conflict of interest according to Westaway.

Students at the screening seemed to have strong emotions at the end of the documentary, including UM senior Ja’Shoundra Pouncy, who described herself as “feeling a rush of anger flow.” She said she believes the documentary is a great beginning for a conversation to happen within the University of Miami community.

“The movie highlights a point that we all want to believe, that rape and sexual assault culture is not real and cannot happen to us or those close to us,” Pouncy said. “We also like to think that, if something were to happen to us or our friends, justice would be served. However, the movie shows that we have a false sense of security about all of it.”

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...