Finance, News

Entrepreneurs discuss fundraising for startup companies at Toppel

The Toppel Career Center hosted three financiers from Miami to discuss the process of fundraising and what it takes to raise money for a startup on Tuesday.

The big-time investors included Jason Shuman, a recent graduate of the University of Miami, Bob Williamson, the treasurer of private investing group New World Angels and Jack Karabees, an investor with the Miami Innovation Fund.

Shuman said he kept busy while studying at UM by launching a casual footwear company called Category Five, which developed a presence in 10 states and earned a six-figure cumulative revenue. He graduated with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship and Marketing in 2013. In the discussion, he emphasized the importance of preparedness when he was pitching an idea to his investment group, Corigin Ventures.

“We want to know that you understand your business,” Shuman said. “I want to be able to see if I can put you off your game or get you off script.”

Williamson, treasurer of New World Angels, discussed the importance of networking and relationships in venture capitalism, where a mutual friend can get entrepreneurs in touch with investors.

“The introduction is terribly important,” Williamson said. “Looking back at the deals we’ve done, they all had some sort of sponsorship [from an entrepreneur we know, a fellow investor, etc.]in the last three or four years.”

“I would say 95 percent of my meetings are done via introduction,” Shuman said.

The third panelist, Jack Karabees, an investor with Miami Innovation Fund, talked about the lengthy fundraising process.

“You’re going to make 50 to 100 presentations to qualified investors … That’s going to take a year, year and a half,” he said. “If you’ve made your first presentation last week, you’re 15 months away from a wire, assuming everything goes flawless in the next 15 months.”

Before closing, Shuman discussed what he looks for in a pitch by an entrepreneur seeking an investment.

“Why you? What’s the advantage that you specifically have over the next person that’s coming in and what’s the secret sauce behind the business?” he said.

The three financiers encouraged young entrepreneurs to reach out to investment groups and seek to establish a firm grounding from which their businesses can take off.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user stevepb

David Ufberg

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...