Edge, Fashion

Eclipse Fashion Society has first runway show, displays collections

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the first annual Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography, and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

With a vision to create the first fashion-oriented organization on campus, senior Ariel Adams started the Eclipse Fashion Society, a society open to all individuals interested in fashion, from modeling to fashion business. On Monday, the club had its first runway show, Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself, to showcase high-fashion pieces.

Emceed by South Florida comedian Success Junior, the show featured nine student models, including some who view modeling as a hobby and others who hope to break into the modeling world professionally.

“I think for our first show ever it went very great. A lot of the girls were nervous but we had a nice turnout,” Anthonia Moore, public relations advisor for the society said. “I think it definitely got the Eclipse Fashion Society name out there … I genuinely see how much potential Eclipse Fashion Society has.”

While the evening kicked off with some laughs and solid beats dropped by D.J. Thunder, the rosy smiles were replaced with looks of fierceness and determination as soon as the models walked on stage.

The first collection on the runway was from the Royal Fudge Collection, a local Miami boutique. As models walked down the runway, they sported body-hugging dresses and skirts. Though the styles were mostly in monochromatic tones of blacks and reds, the looks were far from dull with bold statement necklaces, daringly long earrings and mysterious birdcage veils.

As the sponsor of the show, Victoria’s Secret also showed off a few of its own looks from their PINK collection. With an even balance of grace and athleticism, the models wore neon color block jackets and leggings and also brought back velvet tracksuits.

Fort Lauderdale designer Ma’ne Terces’s line is self-described as a brand for “confident, sexy trendsetters who are comfortable within their skin,” and the models embodied this philosophy as they paraded down the runway. The collection played with a variety of styles and textures, from a front-tie kimono style dress to a snakeskin body-con and a glittering black and gold sheer dress. There were countless sparkles and plunging necklines in this collection, all of which the girls modeled with utter ferocity as they towered in six-inch platforms.

Freshman Torrey Crosby, member of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM, poses during the Eclipse Fashion Show Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

The Lamaj Collection closed out the show in a bold finale with jet-black pieces as a part of every outfit. Some of the most outstanding looks from the collection included a peplum maxi skirt with a train, a thigh-hugging little black dress with a sheer overlay and a midi mermaid-style dress with an ornate flower on the shoulder.

The show included special performances from dance groups Miami Motion and KAOS, both of whose sharp lines and crisp moves fit right in with the theme of the show.

In the future, Moore said the organization hopes to grow with newly recruited members and seeks to hold bigger events with other student clubs.

“In the spring semester, we will have a smaller showcase and be partnering with other organizations,” Moore said. “For example, in March we’ll be ripping the runway in the African Students Union Fashion Show.”

The ladies of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM line up during their first fashion show at the Shalala Student Center ballrooms Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Shyamali Mahure

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...