Edge, Fashion

Eclipse Fashion Society has first runway show, displays collections

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the first annual Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography, and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Senior Candice Louise Johnson walks the runway Monday evening during the Eclipse Fashion Show, which aims to promote and inspire fashion, modeling, photography and design. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

With a vision to create the first fashion-oriented organization on campus, senior Ariel Adams started the Eclipse Fashion Society, a society open to all individuals interested in fashion, from modeling to fashion business. On Monday, the club had its first runway show, Allow Me to Reintroduce Myself, to showcase high-fashion pieces.

Emceed by South Florida comedian Success Junior, the show featured nine student models, including some who view modeling as a hobby and others who hope to break into the modeling world professionally.

“I think for our first show ever it went very great. A lot of the girls were nervous but we had a nice turnout,” Anthonia Moore, public relations advisor for the society said. “I think it definitely got the Eclipse Fashion Society name out there … I genuinely see how much potential Eclipse Fashion Society has.”

While the evening kicked off with some laughs and solid beats dropped by D.J. Thunder, the rosy smiles were replaced with looks of fierceness and determination as soon as the models walked on stage.

The first collection on the runway was from the Royal Fudge Collection, a local Miami boutique. As models walked down the runway, they sported body-hugging dresses and skirts. Though the styles were mostly in monochromatic tones of blacks and reds, the looks were far from dull with bold statement necklaces, daringly long earrings and mysterious birdcage veils.

As the sponsor of the show, Victoria’s Secret also showed off a few of its own looks from their PINK collection. With an even balance of grace and athleticism, the models wore neon color block jackets and leggings and also brought back velvet tracksuits.

Fort Lauderdale designer Ma’ne Terces’s line is self-described as a brand for “confident, sexy trendsetters who are comfortable within their skin,” and the models embodied this philosophy as they paraded down the runway. The collection played with a variety of styles and textures, from a front-tie kimono style dress to a snakeskin body-con and a glittering black and gold sheer dress. There were countless sparkles and plunging necklines in this collection, all of which the girls modeled with utter ferocity as they towered in six-inch platforms.

Freshman Torrey Crosby, member of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM, poses during the Eclipse Fashion Show Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

The Lamaj Collection closed out the show in a bold finale with jet-black pieces as a part of every outfit. Some of the most outstanding looks from the collection included a peplum maxi skirt with a train, a thigh-hugging little black dress with a sheer overlay and a midi mermaid-style dress with an ornate flower on the shoulder.

The show included special performances from dance groups Miami Motion and KAOS, both of whose sharp lines and crisp moves fit right in with the theme of the show.

In the future, Moore said the organization hopes to grow with newly recruited members and seeks to hold bigger events with other student clubs.

“In the spring semester, we will have a smaller showcase and be partnering with other organizations,” Moore said. “For example, in March we’ll be ripping the runway in the African Students Union Fashion Show.”

The ladies of the Eclipse Fashion Society of UM line up during their first fashion show at the Shalala Student Center ballrooms Monday evening. Alisha Kabir // Staff Photographer

Shyamali Mahure

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...