Opinion, Staff Editorial

Terror attacks rivet eyes of world, inspire acts of humanity

We reserve this Monday’s editorial to express our deepest condolences to the lives lost this weekend to hateful, meaningless acts of terror.

On Friday evening, scores of Parisians and visitors kicked off the weekend with a night of music, a game of soccer or dinner and drinks, with absolutely no inkling of what was to come. Within an hour, 129 people were dead and more than 300 injured by suicide bombings and shooting rampages that occurred at multiple locations throughout central Paris. Since then, the fatalities have risen to 132 with the deaths of seriously injured victims.

Less than a year after the January terror attacks on Charlie Hebdo, yet another pall of death has fallen over the city beloved for its dazzling sense of life and love. Around the world, people have wept for Paris, for Beirut and for Baghdad. These lives have been lost at the hands of militants with no purpose other than to instill fear and terror.

Yet in spite of these terrible attacks, humanity has still managed to shine through.

Reports and videos are surfacing of the concertgoers dragging injured victims out of the path of gunfire and helping each other escape. As the attacks unfolded, Parisians began to offer shelter to those in need by using the hashtag “#PorteOuverte” on Twitter.  Isobel Bowdery, a concertgoer from South Africa, reported on Facebook about the courage she witnessed while lying on the ground of the Bataclan. She thanked a man who had reassured and covered her head while they were both pretending to be dead and strangers who had given her a ride and comforted her while she was waiting to hear news about her boyfriend, among others.

In Beirut, Lebanon, the day before, Adel Termos was spending time with his daughter in a commercial area of southern Beirut when he witnessed the first of two suicide bombings near a Shia mosque. He then noticed the second suicide bomber and tackled him to the ground, causing the vest to detonate prematurely, an effort that cost him his life. Dr. Elie Fares, a blogger and physician living in Lebanon, said, “There are many, many families, hundreds of families probably, who owe their completeness to his sacrifice.”

Undoubtedly, the airwaves will be taken over by talks of tactics and strategies, of alliances and summits, and of immigration policies and security crackdowns in response to these events. But let us take this moment to quietly grieve these terrible attacks on humanity.

We mourn the lives that were interrupted too early; we commend the bravery of the victims and survivors, and we admire the world’s immense capacity for love and solidarity in the face of hate.

Editorial Board

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...