Opinion, Staff Editorial

Terror attacks rivet eyes of world, inspire acts of humanity

We reserve this Monday’s editorial to express our deepest condolences to the lives lost this weekend to hateful, meaningless acts of terror.

On Friday evening, scores of Parisians and visitors kicked off the weekend with a night of music, a game of soccer or dinner and drinks, with absolutely no inkling of what was to come. Within an hour, 129 people were dead and more than 300 injured by suicide bombings and shooting rampages that occurred at multiple locations throughout central Paris. Since then, the fatalities have risen to 132 with the deaths of seriously injured victims.

Less than a year after the January terror attacks on Charlie Hebdo, yet another pall of death has fallen over the city beloved for its dazzling sense of life and love. Around the world, people have wept for Paris, for Beirut and for Baghdad. These lives have been lost at the hands of militants with no purpose other than to instill fear and terror.

Yet in spite of these terrible attacks, humanity has still managed to shine through.

Reports and videos are surfacing of the concertgoers dragging injured victims out of the path of gunfire and helping each other escape. As the attacks unfolded, Parisians began to offer shelter to those in need by using the hashtag “#PorteOuverte” on Twitter.  Isobel Bowdery, a concertgoer from South Africa, reported on Facebook about the courage she witnessed while lying on the ground of the Bataclan. She thanked a man who had reassured and covered her head while they were both pretending to be dead and strangers who had given her a ride and comforted her while she was waiting to hear news about her boyfriend, among others.

In Beirut, Lebanon, the day before, Adel Termos was spending time with his daughter in a commercial area of southern Beirut when he witnessed the first of two suicide bombings near a Shia mosque. He then noticed the second suicide bomber and tackled him to the ground, causing the vest to detonate prematurely, an effort that cost him his life. Dr. Elie Fares, a blogger and physician living in Lebanon, said, “There are many, many families, hundreds of families probably, who owe their completeness to his sacrifice.”

Undoubtedly, the airwaves will be taken over by talks of tactics and strategies, of alliances and summits, and of immigration policies and security crackdowns in response to these events. But let us take this moment to quietly grieve these terrible attacks on humanity.

We mourn the lives that were interrupted too early; we commend the bravery of the victims and survivors, and we admire the world’s immense capacity for love and solidarity in the face of hate.

Editorial Board

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...