Signing up for classes creates myriad of scheduling issues

As registration rolls around, students are faced with the stressful situation of deciding which classes to take. While enrolling for classes is annoying at universities everywhere, the registration process at the University of Miami continuously proves to be unnecessarily problematic. Creating next semester’s schedule should not be more stressful than a 300-level class.

For the fourth semester in a row, I have frantically had to rearrange my entire, carefully thought-out schedule because the day before my registration appointment, the classes that I needed to take filled up. This semester I had no choice but to take a bunch of random electives strictly because of scheduling issues.

The scheduling system here at UM makes no sense. Why are business school students allowed to sign up for communication school classes before the communication school students? Each student should only be allowed to sign up for classes for his or her major at first, and when everyone is registered for their required classes, then they should be able to enroll in classes in other schools.

I am not just speaking from personal experience. This week I have talked to numerous people of various majors who have found themselves in the same situation: being locked out of a class that is required for their majors.

This is not the only issue when it comes to scheduling. There are so many classes that only have one section scheduled. For a university that has over 10,000 undergraduate students, it doesn’t take someone smart enough to be one of those students to realize that one section of a class is not enough.

It is not only the limited amount of sections that prove to be problematic, but also the number of spots available for each class. If a class is only going to have one section, then maybe there should be more than 18 available spots.

I don’t know, just a thought.

I was hesitant to write this letter because I thought it may not make a difference, which may still be true, but after having to put off required classes for both of my majors semester after semester and seeing my classmates experience the same frustration, I had to say something.

The system is clearly not well thought out and needs to be changed.

Lizzie Wilcox is a sophomore majoring in French and media management. 

Featured image courtesy of Pixabay user jarmoluk. 

Lizzie Wilcox

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...