Signing up for classes creates myriad of scheduling issues

As registration rolls around, students are faced with the stressful situation of deciding which classes to take. While enrolling for classes is annoying at universities everywhere, the registration process at the University of Miami continuously proves to be unnecessarily problematic. Creating next semester’s schedule should not be more stressful than a 300-level class.

For the fourth semester in a row, I have frantically had to rearrange my entire, carefully thought-out schedule because the day before my registration appointment, the classes that I needed to take filled up. This semester I had no choice but to take a bunch of random electives strictly because of scheduling issues.

The scheduling system here at UM makes no sense. Why are business school students allowed to sign up for communication school classes before the communication school students? Each student should only be allowed to sign up for classes for his or her major at first, and when everyone is registered for their required classes, then they should be able to enroll in classes in other schools.

I am not just speaking from personal experience. This week I have talked to numerous people of various majors who have found themselves in the same situation: being locked out of a class that is required for their majors.

This is not the only issue when it comes to scheduling. There are so many classes that only have one section scheduled. For a university that has over 10,000 undergraduate students, it doesn’t take someone smart enough to be one of those students to realize that one section of a class is not enough.

It is not only the limited amount of sections that prove to be problematic, but also the number of spots available for each class. If a class is only going to have one section, then maybe there should be more than 18 available spots.

I don’t know, just a thought.

I was hesitant to write this letter because I thought it may not make a difference, which may still be true, but after having to put off required classes for both of my majors semester after semester and seeing my classmates experience the same frustration, I had to say something.

The system is clearly not well thought out and needs to be changed.

Lizzie Wilcox is a sophomore majoring in French and media management. 

Featured image courtesy of Pixabay user jarmoluk. 

About Author

Lizzie Wilcox

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...