Community, News, Video

Police officer shoots subject at South Dixie Highway Shell gas station across from campus

UPDATED, Nov. 15, 11:32 p.m. 

A police-involved shooting occurred Sunday night at the Shell gas station across from the University of Miami on South Dixie Highway.

Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak said an officer fired his weapon on a subject. Coral Gables and South Miami police officers were on the scene, blocking off traffic on U.S. 1 from Yumuri Street to the partition between the Shell gas station and Shake Shack parking lot. Hudak said the surrounding area was not in danger and said “maybe” when asked if the station had video surveillance footage. Customers and employees of surrounding businesses were not asked to leave the area at any point. At least 10 police cars were in the area, as well as a police van.

Miami-Dade County Police Department Detective Alvaro Zabaleta told WSVN 7 News that police pulled over the subject for a routine traffic stop when they suspected he was carrying a drug and asked him to step out of his vehicle, which he did.

“Once they were in the back, by the police car, the subject then made an overt movement and the officer discharged his firearm striking him the upper torso,” Zabaleta said.

WSVN 7 news also reported that the subject, named Michael, was listed in stable condition at the Ryder Trauma Center, and that police expected to charge him.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night. William Riggin // News Editor

Shake Shack Manager Carlethia Lane said she was outside on the restaurant’s patio with employees when they heard a gunshot around 5 p.m. The employees got up and went inside, but patrons did not appear to react. Lane said police arrived about five minutes after she heard the gunshot; an ambulance arrived shortly after them and took the person who had been shot.

A white Mitsubishi sedan remained parked near the station’s gas pumps and one forensic marker was placed near the car. An owner of the gas station arrived to provide the surveillance footage to police, and two employees remained at the station after the shooting.

Hudak said Miami-Dade county would take over the case.

A number of stores and restaurants including Shake Shack, Publix and Five Guys Burgers and Fries are within a few blocks of the station and across South Dixie Highway from the UM Coral Gables campus.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...