Community, News, Video

Police officer shoots subject at South Dixie Highway Shell gas station across from campus

UPDATED, Nov. 15, 11:32 p.m. 

A police-involved shooting occurred Sunday night at the Shell gas station across from the University of Miami on South Dixie Highway.

Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak said an officer fired his weapon on a subject. Coral Gables and South Miami police officers were on the scene, blocking off traffic on U.S. 1 from Yumuri Street to the partition between the Shell gas station and Shake Shack parking lot. Hudak said the surrounding area was not in danger and said “maybe” when asked if the station had video surveillance footage. Customers and employees of surrounding businesses were not asked to leave the area at any point. At least 10 police cars were in the area, as well as a police van.

Miami-Dade County Police Department Detective Alvaro Zabaleta told WSVN 7 News that police pulled over the subject for a routine traffic stop when they suspected he was carrying a drug and asked him to step out of his vehicle, which he did.

“Once they were in the back, by the police car, the subject then made an overt movement and the officer discharged his firearm striking him the upper torso,” Zabaleta said.

WSVN 7 news also reported that the subject, named Michael, was listed in stable condition at the Ryder Trauma Center, and that police expected to charge him.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night. William Riggin // News Editor

Shake Shack Manager Carlethia Lane said she was outside on the restaurant’s patio with employees when they heard a gunshot around 5 p.m. The employees got up and went inside, but patrons did not appear to react. Lane said police arrived about five minutes after she heard the gunshot; an ambulance arrived shortly after them and took the person who had been shot.

A white Mitsubishi sedan remained parked near the station’s gas pumps and one forensic marker was placed near the car. An owner of the gas station arrived to provide the surveillance footage to police, and two employees remained at the station after the shooting.

Hudak said Miami-Dade county would take over the case.

A number of stores and restaurants including Shake Shack, Publix and Five Guys Burgers and Fries are within a few blocks of the station and across South Dixie Highway from the UM Coral Gables campus.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Police officer shoots subject at South Dixie Highway Shell gas station across from campus”

1. Wait, a few minutes ago, it seemed definite that cops took surveillance video from the gas station and now it’s a “maybe.”

Lol. I see where this is going.

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...