Community, News, Video

Police officer shoots subject at South Dixie Highway Shell gas station across from campus

UPDATED, Nov. 15, 11:32 p.m. 

A police-involved shooting occurred Sunday night at the Shell gas station across from the University of Miami on South Dixie Highway.

Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak said an officer fired his weapon on a subject. Coral Gables and South Miami police officers were on the scene, blocking off traffic on U.S. 1 from Yumuri Street to the partition between the Shell gas station and Shake Shack parking lot. Hudak said the surrounding area was not in danger and said “maybe” when asked if the station had video surveillance footage. Customers and employees of surrounding businesses were not asked to leave the area at any point. At least 10 police cars were in the area, as well as a police van.

Miami-Dade County Police Department Detective Alvaro Zabaleta told WSVN 7 News that police pulled over the subject for a routine traffic stop when they suspected he was carrying a drug and asked him to step out of his vehicle, which he did.

“Once they were in the back, by the police car, the subject then made an overt movement and the officer discharged his firearm striking him the upper torso,” Zabaleta said.

WSVN 7 news also reported that the subject, named Michael, was listed in stable condition at the Ryder Trauma Center, and that police expected to charge him.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night. William Riggin // News Editor

Shake Shack Manager Carlethia Lane said she was outside on the restaurant’s patio with employees when they heard a gunshot around 5 p.m. The employees got up and went inside, but patrons did not appear to react. Lane said police arrived about five minutes after she heard the gunshot; an ambulance arrived shortly after them and took the person who had been shot.

A white Mitsubishi sedan remained parked near the station’s gas pumps and one forensic marker was placed near the car. An owner of the gas station arrived to provide the surveillance footage to police, and two employees remained at the station after the shooting.

Hudak said Miami-Dade county would take over the case.

A number of stores and restaurants including Shake Shack, Publix and Five Guys Burgers and Fries are within a few blocks of the station and across South Dixie Highway from the UM Coral Gables campus.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...