Community, News, Video

Police officer shoots subject at South Dixie Highway Shell gas station across from campus

UPDATED, Nov. 15, 11:32 p.m. 

A police-involved shooting occurred Sunday night at the Shell gas station across from the University of Miami on South Dixie Highway.

Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak said an officer fired his weapon on a subject. Coral Gables and South Miami police officers were on the scene, blocking off traffic on U.S. 1 from Yumuri Street to the partition between the Shell gas station and Shake Shack parking lot. Hudak said the surrounding area was not in danger and said “maybe” when asked if the station had video surveillance footage. Customers and employees of surrounding businesses were not asked to leave the area at any point. At least 10 police cars were in the area, as well as a police van.

Miami-Dade County Police Department Detective Alvaro Zabaleta told WSVN 7 News that police pulled over the subject for a routine traffic stop when they suspected he was carrying a drug and asked him to step out of his vehicle, which he did.

“Once they were in the back, by the police car, the subject then made an overt movement and the officer discharged his firearm striking him the upper torso,” Zabaleta said.

WSVN 7 news also reported that the subject, named Michael, was listed in stable condition at the Ryder Trauma Center, and that police expected to charge him.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night.

Police tape goes up to partition between the Shake Shack and the Shell gas station on South Dixie Highway following the shooting Sunday night. William Riggin // News Editor

Shake Shack Manager Carlethia Lane said she was outside on the restaurant’s patio with employees when they heard a gunshot around 5 p.m. The employees got up and went inside, but patrons did not appear to react. Lane said police arrived about five minutes after she heard the gunshot; an ambulance arrived shortly after them and took the person who had been shot.

A white Mitsubishi sedan remained parked near the station’s gas pumps and one forensic marker was placed near the car. An owner of the gas station arrived to provide the surveillance footage to police, and two employees remained at the station after the shooting.

Hudak said Miami-Dade county would take over the case.

A number of stores and restaurants including Shake Shack, Publix and Five Guys Burgers and Fries are within a few blocks of the station and across South Dixie Highway from the UM Coral Gables campus.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...