Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball bounce back with 3-1 win over Irish

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday's 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Senior outside hitter Taylor Scott (22) reaches for the ball during Sunday’s 3-1 win over Notre Dame. The Canes bounced back after a 3-1 loss to Louisville on Friday. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes defeated ACC foe Notre Dame 3-1 at the Knight Sports Complex on Sunday. It was a much-needed win going into the final stretch of the season, especially after Miami (18-8, 11-4) lost at home for the first time this season Friday night to Louisville.

“Friday was such a close game that we talked a lot about finding a couple points and minimizing some errors,” Head Coach Jose Gandara said.

Sophomore setter Haley Templeton did well distributing the ball, tallying 51 assists for the match. Her efforts allowed three hitters to tally more than 10 kills each.

“We didn’t have a bad hitter today,” Templeton said. “All of our hitters stepped up today.”

Senior outside hitter Alexis Mourning finished with 13 kills while outside hitters redshirt junior Kelsie Groot and sophomore Olga Strantzali both recorded 14.

“It was a good matchup for me,” Mourning said. “They only had one blocker, so I had a lot of opportunities.”

The Canes beat the Irish 25-16 in the first set after taking a 5-0 lead thanks to Strantzali’s serving and kills from Mourning. The Irish offense never got going due to poor passing and hitting errors. However, Notre Dame rebounded in the second game, winning 25-21.

The teams traded points throughout games three and four, and Miami suffered from unforced errors as well as a few questionable calls from the referees. Despite this, the Canes came back and won both games 25-18, 25-18.

“Notre Dame (6-22, 1-15) is a team that doesn’t make a lot of errors, so that puts pressure on you to perform and execute,” Gandara said. “The lesson is that we can’t control what they do. We just do what we do.”

The Canes, now 11-1 at home, have four more regular season games before the NCAA Tournament starts on Dec. 3. The team next plays Duke at 7 p.m. on Friday in the Knight Sports Complex.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...