Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes Hoops’ experience to trump youth

Regular season begins Friday for the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team. With a ton of key players returning from last season, surpassing the Sweet 16 is a great possibility.

Several seniors lead the Canes. Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Tonye Jekiri will be back in their roles in the starting lineup. Junior Davon Reed also returns after starting last season.

The team had several different lineup changes last season due to some injuries. A healthy season will lead to success.

Some of the powerhouse teams, such as Kentucky and Duke, rely on freshmen to carry them throughout the NCAA tourney. I believe experience will triumph over youth this year, which leads the Canes to big wins.

I’m not saying Miami is better than those two teams, but the senior leadership by Rodriguez, McClellan and Jekiri will boost the team’s confidence and play throughout the season in crucial situations.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball is the most energetic to watch. Huge regular season games at home versus Duke, University of Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville and more will give the Canes an advantage, thanks to loud, cheering fans. The ACC is nothing to take for granted.

With an improved team and a healthy start to the season, this year should be a great one for the Canes.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...