Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes Hoops’ experience to trump youth

Regular season begins Friday for the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team. With a ton of key players returning from last season, surpassing the Sweet 16 is a great possibility.

Several seniors lead the Canes. Angel Rodriguez, Sheldon McClellan and Tonye Jekiri will be back in their roles in the starting lineup. Junior Davon Reed also returns after starting last season.

The team had several different lineup changes last season due to some injuries. A healthy season will lead to success.

Some of the powerhouse teams, such as Kentucky and Duke, rely on freshmen to carry them throughout the NCAA tourney. I believe experience will triumph over youth this year, which leads the Canes to big wins.

I’m not saying Miami is better than those two teams, but the senior leadership by Rodriguez, McClellan and Jekiri will boost the team’s confidence and play throughout the season in crucial situations.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball is the most energetic to watch. Huge regular season games at home versus Duke, University of Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville and more will give the Canes an advantage, thanks to loud, cheering fans. The ACC is nothing to take for granted.

With an improved team and a healthy start to the season, this year should be a great one for the Canes.

For more from Wyatt Geller, visit his personal website.

Wyatt Geller

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...