Edge, Food

Five must-try pumpkin recipes for fall

The change from summer to fall might not be as obvious in Miami, but there’s one way we know it’s around the corner: the long-awaited arrival of pumpkin spice lattes, of course. For those looking for an alternative way to indulge in pumpkin this fall, drop the lattes and try these easy and delicious recipes.

Start your day off right with Pumpkin Pancakes (from All Recipes)

Ingredients:

• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
  2. Whisk milk, pumpkin, egg and oil together in a bowl. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
  3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 1 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining batter.

Put down the peanut butter and whip yourself up some Pumpkin Butter (from Minimalist Baker) for a twist on a classic spread.

Ingredients:

• 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2/3 cup coconut sugar or muscovado sugar (or substitute organic brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A is best)
  • 1/2 cup pure unsweetened apple juice
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced (1 tablespoon or 15 ml)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • A pinch of sea salt

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat and stir to combine.
  2. Once it begins bubbling, reduce heat to low and simmer. You’re looking for a frequent bubble, so if there isn’t much going on at the surface, increase heat to medium-low heat. If it is bubbling too vigorously, reduce heat to low.
  3. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leaving it on the stove for another 5-10 minutes will deepen the flavors and thicken the texture.
  4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, add more coconut sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for warmth, or salt to balance the flavors.
  5. Once cooled completely, transfer to a large glass container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, sometimes more (depending on the freshness of your ingredients).
  6. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or let it warm to room temperature before adding to items like waffles or pancakes.

Didn’t think pumpkins and Hispanic cuisine could be mixed? Think again, and try out this recipe for Pumpkin Quesadillas (from Rachel Ray).

Ingredients:

• 2 cups canned pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 8 8-inch flour tortillas
  • 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. In bowl, stir pumpkin and cumin; season. Spread over 4 tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts. Top with remaining tortillas. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low. Cook quesadillas one at a time, turning once and adding more oil between batches, until browned, for 3 minutes. Cut into wedges.

Don’t forget the seeds! Make sure to get maximum use out of your pumpkin by making these delectably easy Sweet and Salty Pumpkin Seeds (from Real Simple).

Ingredients:

• 2 cups fresh pumpkin seeds, rinsed and patted dry
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until dry throughout for 50 to 60 minutes.
  1. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss the seeds with the butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Return the seeds to the baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

What pumpkin recipe list would be complete without dessert? Try your hand at this No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake (from Kraft) to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Ingredients:

• 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 8 ounce whipped topping, thawed and divided
  • 1 ready-to-use graham cracker crumb crust
  • 2 1/2 cups of Cool Whip

Directions:

1. Beat cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice with mixer until blended. Gently stir in 2 1/2 cups Cool Whip.
  2. Spoon into crust.
  3. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
  4. Serve topped with remaining whipped topping.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Alexas_Fotos.

Shyamali Mahure

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...