Edge, Food

Five must-try pumpkin recipes for fall

The change from summer to fall might not be as obvious in Miami, but there’s one way we know it’s around the corner: the long-awaited arrival of pumpkin spice lattes, of course. For those looking for an alternative way to indulge in pumpkin this fall, drop the lattes and try these easy and delicious recipes.

Start your day off right with Pumpkin Pancakes (from All Recipes)

Ingredients:

• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
  2. Whisk milk, pumpkin, egg and oil together in a bowl. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
  3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Drop batter by large spoonfuls onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 1 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining batter.

Put down the peanut butter and whip yourself up some Pumpkin Butter (from Minimalist Baker) for a twist on a classic spread.

Ingredients:

• 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2/3 cup coconut sugar or muscovado sugar (or substitute organic brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A is best)
  • 1/2 cup pure unsweetened apple juice
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced (1 tablespoon or 15 ml)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • A pinch of sea salt

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat and stir to combine.
  2. Once it begins bubbling, reduce heat to low and simmer. You’re looking for a frequent bubble, so if there isn’t much going on at the surface, increase heat to medium-low heat. If it is bubbling too vigorously, reduce heat to low.
  3. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leaving it on the stove for another 5-10 minutes will deepen the flavors and thicken the texture.
  4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, add more coconut sugar or maple syrup for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice for warmth, or salt to balance the flavors.
  5. Once cooled completely, transfer to a large glass container and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, sometimes more (depending on the freshness of your ingredients).
  6. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or let it warm to room temperature before adding to items like waffles or pancakes.

Didn’t think pumpkins and Hispanic cuisine could be mixed? Think again, and try out this recipe for Pumpkin Quesadillas (from Rachel Ray).

Ingredients:

• 2 cups canned pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 8 8-inch flour tortillas
  • 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. In bowl, stir pumpkin and cumin; season. Spread over 4 tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts. Top with remaining tortillas. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low. Cook quesadillas one at a time, turning once and adding more oil between batches, until browned, for 3 minutes. Cut into wedges.

Don’t forget the seeds! Make sure to get maximum use out of your pumpkin by making these delectably easy Sweet and Salty Pumpkin Seeds (from Real Simple).

Ingredients:

• 2 cups fresh pumpkin seeds, rinsed and patted dry
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until dry throughout for 50 to 60 minutes.
  1. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss the seeds with the butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Return the seeds to the baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

What pumpkin recipe list would be complete without dessert? Try your hand at this No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake (from Kraft) to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Ingredients:

• 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 8 ounce whipped topping, thawed and divided
  • 1 ready-to-use graham cracker crumb crust
  • 2 1/2 cups of Cool Whip

Directions:

1. Beat cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar and pumpkin pie spice with mixer until blended. Gently stir in 2 1/2 cups Cool Whip.
  2. Spoon into crust.
  3. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
  4. Serve topped with remaining whipped topping.

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Alexas_Fotos.

Shyamali Mahure

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...