Crime and Safety, News, Student Government

Senate Recap: Skating Safety, Teach for America

Skating Safety

After third-year law student Kevin Sigurani died last Monday after he was hit by a truck while skateboarding, University of Miami administrators have decided to try to raise awareness throughout campus about safe skating.

The safety initiative was started by Heather Stevens, assistant to the vice president of student affairs. From Monday to Wednesday next week, there will be a number of events designed to encourage students to be aware of their surroundings for their own safety and for the safety of pedestrians.

“This issue is continuously happening, students not being safe while skateboarding and lately with the new swagboards,” Stevens said. “Some of us have been hit by skateboarders before when they are in a rush. Even if they are late for class, they can still get there quickly but they can do it safely and smartly.”

• Monday, Nov. 16, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Between Richter Library and Cox Science Center, there will be a giveaway that promotes paying attention when crossing the street near cars and buses. There will also be a raffle for a gift card to the Rathskeller.

• Tuesday, Nov. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: A skateboarding lane along the pathway to Ashe will encourage students to pay attention while weaving between people.

• Wednesday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Speed bumps in front of the Donna E. Shalala Student Center will stop students from skating too quickly and will encourage them to pay attention in dangerous areas.

Teach for America

A representative from Teach for America came to the Student Government Senate meeting to encourage the senators to make a difference in children’s lives.

The nonprofit organization seeks to recruit student leaders in college to work in low-income economy areas in 52 regions around the United States to provide education to children in those communities.

Applicants can express their preference for what subject they want to teach and where they want to teach it.

Food, housing and transportation are all paid for. Salaries can reach up to $55,000.

Notes:

• There will be a watch party at the Rathskeller on Nov. 14 for the away football game against the University of North Carolina.

• The Energy & Conservation Organization Agency of Student Government collected 77.9 pounds of food waste in the Mahoney dining hall on Wednesday.

• Applications for Miss University of Miami Scholarship Pageant are open until Dec. 9. This serves as an official preliminary to the Miss Florida and Miss America pageant. Details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/missuniversityofmiami/timeline.

Marcus Lim

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...