Crime and Safety, News, Student Government

Senate Recap: Skating Safety, Teach for America

Skating Safety

After third-year law student Kevin Sigurani died last Monday after he was hit by a truck while skateboarding, University of Miami administrators have decided to try to raise awareness throughout campus about safe skating.

The safety initiative was started by Heather Stevens, assistant to the vice president of student affairs. From Monday to Wednesday next week, there will be a number of events designed to encourage students to be aware of their surroundings for their own safety and for the safety of pedestrians.

“This issue is continuously happening, students not being safe while skateboarding and lately with the new swagboards,” Stevens said. “Some of us have been hit by skateboarders before when they are in a rush. Even if they are late for class, they can still get there quickly but they can do it safely and smartly.”

• Monday, Nov. 16, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Between Richter Library and Cox Science Center, there will be a giveaway that promotes paying attention when crossing the street near cars and buses. There will also be a raffle for a gift card to the Rathskeller.

• Tuesday, Nov. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: A skateboarding lane along the pathway to Ashe will encourage students to pay attention while weaving between people.

• Wednesday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Speed bumps in front of the Donna E. Shalala Student Center will stop students from skating too quickly and will encourage them to pay attention in dangerous areas.

Teach for America

A representative from Teach for America came to the Student Government Senate meeting to encourage the senators to make a difference in children’s lives.

The nonprofit organization seeks to recruit student leaders in college to work in low-income economy areas in 52 regions around the United States to provide education to children in those communities.

Applicants can express their preference for what subject they want to teach and where they want to teach it.

Food, housing and transportation are all paid for. Salaries can reach up to $55,000.

Notes:

• There will be a watch party at the Rathskeller on Nov. 14 for the away football game against the University of North Carolina.

• The Energy & Conservation Organization Agency of Student Government collected 77.9 pounds of food waste in the Mahoney dining hall on Wednesday.

• Applications for Miss University of Miami Scholarship Pageant are open until Dec. 9. This serves as an official preliminary to the Miss Florida and Miss America pageant. Details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/missuniversityofmiami/timeline.

About Author

Marcus Lim

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...