Crime and Safety, News, Student Government

Senate Recap: Skating Safety, Teach for America

Skating Safety

After third-year law student Kevin Sigurani died last Monday after he was hit by a truck while skateboarding, University of Miami administrators have decided to try to raise awareness throughout campus about safe skating.

The safety initiative was started by Heather Stevens, assistant to the vice president of student affairs. From Monday to Wednesday next week, there will be a number of events designed to encourage students to be aware of their surroundings for their own safety and for the safety of pedestrians.

“This issue is continuously happening, students not being safe while skateboarding and lately with the new swagboards,” Stevens said. “Some of us have been hit by skateboarders before when they are in a rush. Even if they are late for class, they can still get there quickly but they can do it safely and smartly.”

• Monday, Nov. 16, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Between Richter Library and Cox Science Center, there will be a giveaway that promotes paying attention when crossing the street near cars and buses. There will also be a raffle for a gift card to the Rathskeller.

• Tuesday, Nov. 17, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: A skateboarding lane along the pathway to Ashe will encourage students to pay attention while weaving between people.

• Wednesday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Speed bumps in front of the Donna E. Shalala Student Center will stop students from skating too quickly and will encourage them to pay attention in dangerous areas.

Teach for America

A representative from Teach for America came to the Student Government Senate meeting to encourage the senators to make a difference in children’s lives.

The nonprofit organization seeks to recruit student leaders in college to work in low-income economy areas in 52 regions around the United States to provide education to children in those communities.

Applicants can express their preference for what subject they want to teach and where they want to teach it.

Food, housing and transportation are all paid for. Salaries can reach up to $55,000.

Notes:

• There will be a watch party at the Rathskeller on Nov. 14 for the away football game against the University of North Carolina.

• The Energy & Conservation Organization Agency of Student Government collected 77.9 pounds of food waste in the Mahoney dining hall on Wednesday.

• Applications for Miss University of Miami Scholarship Pageant are open until Dec. 9. This serves as an official preliminary to the Miss Florida and Miss America pageant. Details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/missuniversityofmiami/timeline.

Marcus Lim

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...