Basketball, Profiles, Sports

Dutch duo adds dynamic element to Miami women’s basketball

SPORTS_Dutch Duo 1

Esme Hof

The Hurricanes added some flair to their lineup this past spring with the signings of Dutch natives guard Laura Cornelius and forward Emese Hof. The freshmen played together at Caland Lyceum high school in Groningen, Netherlands and on the Dutch youth national squad.

“They’re awesome adults,” Head Coach Kate Meier said. “They are amazing people that will bring a new wrinkle.”

The duo already has extensive experience to bring to the team. Along with playing in the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Under-19 World Championship and the 2015 FIBA Under-20 European Championship, Cornelius is the all-time leader in points, assists and steals in the Dutch National Talent Program (CTO Amsterdam). She helped the Netherlands win bronze at the 2015 Under-20 European Championship and was considered the top international point guard by various recruiting services.

Hof also played in the Under-19 World Championship as well as the Under-20 European championship and is first in rebounds and blocks in the CTO Amsterdam record books.

“They do not play like freshman,” Meier said. “There’s a play we’ve run for a million years and they’ve already had me tweak it a little bit based on some of the experience and success they had. Those kinds of things are happening and it’s awesome.”

Cornelius and Hof will help Miami primarily with their flexibility and dynamic styles of play. Cornelius is comfortable playing both guard positions and has been praised for her ability to lead, something that is essential to playing the point.

Although she is only 19 years old, Hof is already a savvy player down low. She is skilled at making smart moves near the rim in order to get a solid shot off. She is also capable of playing a variety of positions and drawing defenders away from the basket, which helps the team implement the high-low game Meier strives for.

SPORTS_Dutch Duo 2

Laura Cornelius

“They will get a lot of playing time,” Meier said. “We’re all really comfortable with them. They make us a lot more settled.”

While it looks like the duo will be sure to see the court, it is not yet clear what their roles will be.

“Do you put [Erykah] Davenport and Hof in together?” Meier wonders. “If we can get there, that’s going to be good for us. That’s a great defensive rebounding team, but then does the offense slow down? So those are the things that we’re just still working through.”

Catch the Dutch duo and the rest of the team’s first regular season game against Wright State at 11 a.m. on Friday in the BankUnited Center.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Dutch duo adds dynamic element to Miami women’s basketball”

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...