Digital dating expands fish in our sea, but not for best

One of my close friends recently met her dream match on Tinder. He was a junior majoring in microbiology, like my friend at Northwestern University, with a penchant for sweaters and collared shirts. He was cute and brilliant – an unbeatable combo.

My friend – let’s call her Kelly – fell fast. She had gotten about four or five other matches on Tinder, including a UM med student, as well as a young professional in the Gables area, all of whom were clean-cut and successful. But Kelly was completely uninterested. Northwestern boy was the one for her. They started talking for hours over Tinder and doing the traditional digital mating dance: playing 20 questions and talking about their future aspirations. It was unbelievably adorable. Key word: unbelievable.

Things started getting a little bit weird. Northwestern guy claimed to have gotten a near-perfect score on his MCAT, even though test scores hadn’t come out yet. Then he repeatedly dropped specific phrases from inside jokes Kelly had with some of her friends at UM. The whole ordeal began to stink of fishiness.

Kelly began to get paranoid. She began interrogating her set of close friends. Sure enough, Kelly had been “catfished.”

Yeah, Kelly had fallen head over heels in love with a profile picture filched off of Facebook and a personality carefully curated by a team of her closest friends.

It may seem ridiculous at first, but this could have happened to any of us. In the digital age of dating, our pool of possible “fish in the sea” has widened exponentially, and maybe that’s given us a misleading sense of possibility.

The fact that Kelly matched with several other very cute, very real guys but swept them by the wayside shows that maybe we’ve given ourselves unrealistic expectations of digital dating. Considering we could match with someone who shares our exact interests through a few clicks and swipes, have we begun to expect a level of perfection that doesn’t actually exist?

Perhaps the best-possible loves of our lives are not those connected to us on the other side of the screen, but rather those waiting in the wings of our real, tangible everyday lives.

Jackie Yang is a sophomore majoring in English and neuroscience.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user saferinternetat.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...