Edge, Food

Delicious dishes Miami locals must try

Miami is known for its flavorful offerings and diverse dishes. It’s difficult to choose a place to dine among so many delicious offerings, so whether you’re looking for a quick bite near campus or a place to check out while exploring the city, here’s your guide to Miami must-haves sorted by neighborhood.

Brickell: Chicken and Waffles at American Social

American Social puts a twist on this Southern classic brunch dish by blending in cherries, mascarpone cheese and bourbon maple sauce. A unique addition is the vanilla flavor of the waffles, which brings it all together.

American Social is located at 690 S.W. First Court in Miami.

Coral Gables: Smashed Avo at Threefold Cafe

Everything about this avocado toast is far from typical. The smashed avocado is topped with an optional poached egg and garnished with basil, feta, lime, mushrooms and thyme, all on a piece of rye bread.

Threefold Cafe is located at 141 Giralda Ave. in Coral Gables.

Everything about this avocado toast is far from typical. The smashed avocado is topped with an optional poached egg and garnished with basil, feta, lime, mushrooms and thyme, all on a piece of rye bread.

Threefold Cafe is located at 141 Giralda Ave. in Coral Gables.

Design District: Bacon-wrapped Dates at Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill

If you’re in the midtown or Wynwood area, you have to check out these dates. They’re wrapped in slightly crispy linguica bacon and stuffed with manchego cheese. The bacon adds a nice salty touch while the dates keep the dish sweet.

Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill is located at 3252 N.E. First Ave. in Miami.

Downtown: Oysters at Mignonette

Mignonette uses a rotating selection to show its offerings of oysters from both the East and West Coasts. If it’s your first time or if you’re unsure which type of oysters you like, order the sampler plate to try a diverse selection.

Mignonette is located at 210 NE 18th St. in Miami.

Key Biscayne: Crab Cake at The Rusty Pelican

Made with grilled corn, chives and peppers and served with a chipotle aioli sauce on the side, this appetizer is to die for. Even though it’s only one cake, its large size is filling and the inside is stuffed with fluffy, baked crabmeat and covered with a light breading.

The Rusty Pelican is located at 3201 Rickenbacker Causeway in Key Biscayne.

Little Haiti: Shrimp and Grits at Blue Collar

Made with Trugole cheese, Nueske’s bacon and New Orleans-style barbecue sauce, this dish is a unique combination of flavors. While the sauce may seem like an odd choice for shrimp, it’s an unforgettable combination that you have to taste.

Blue Collar is located at 6730 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami.

Miami Beach: Star Luca Pizza at Visa-O1

This pizza is so beautiful, you won’t even want to eat it. However, it smells too good to resist. It comes in the shape of a star, making it easy to pull off a small piece and is great for sharing. Each portion is filled with mozzarella and ricotta cheese along with San Marzano sauce and spicy salami.

Visa-O1 is located at 1680 Michigan Ave. in Miami Beach.

Miami Beach: Fried Oreos at Prime 112 Restaurant

If you’re looking for a dessert that is unique and slightly unconventional, then go for fried Oreos. The fancy steakhouse’s sweet dish comes with vanilla ice cream, a delightful complement to the cookies.

Prime 112 is located at 112 Ocean Drive in Miami Beach.

West Miami: Pan Con Lechon at El Palacio De Los Jugos

Pan Con Lechon is a quintessential Cuban dish, translating to roast pork sandwich. The roasted pork is seasoned and then chopped up and topped onto toasted fresh bread. It’s a dish you can’t go without trying in Miami.

El Palacio de Los Jugos is located at 5721 W. Flagler St. in Miami.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user joakant

Melissa Ostroff

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...