Dear V

Dear V: Caught in his ex’s shadow

Lately my boyfriend seems to be hung up on his ex.

I don’t know what happened – we’ve been dating for four months and he hasn’t been brought her up much until recently – but he’ll say little things like, “Oh, my ex used to wear her hair like that,” or “My ex used to go to movies late to skip the trailers too.” It’s not something that’s driving me crazy, but it’s making me wonder why she’s suddenly on his mind again. I’m wondering if he’s not over her or if it’s just a fluke. I’m not interested in being his rebound. I thought he was over her when we first started dating, but I also don’t want to bring this up and start a fight if it’s not a big deal. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Doubtful Doppelganger

Dear Doppelganger,

First of all, who skips the trailers? They’re part of the whole movie-going experience. It’s hard to believe that there’s not one – but two – of you out there who do that, but what’s really crazy is that your boyfriend has managed to date both of you savages.

Moving on.

This small hiccup isn’t a reason to abandon ship or make your boyfriend walk the plank. It’s possible that it may have been his ex’s birthday recently and he couldn’t help but remember, or maybe he saw that she got engaged on Facebook and it was on his mind. If your guy and his ex ended on good terms or if they were together for a long time, it will be a while before he’s completely over her.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you or isn’t ready to date you, that just means he still holds a place in his heart for someone he spent a lot of time with – which is a good thing, in a way. If you two ever break up, would you want him to be over you by Monday and in a relationship by Tuesday?

No, of course not.

So relax. Mention how one of your exes makes his coffee or shaves his face like he does a few times and see if he takes the hint. If not, next time he mentions how you’re like his ex, casually quip back that you’ll make sure not to do what reminded him of her again. Do that a few times and he’ll probably stop mentioning her for good.

While you’re at it, grab some popcorn and get in there in time for the previews.

-V

Advice Columnist

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...