Edge, Theater

‘Saturday Night’ play still relevant to modern audiences

Starting on Wednesday, the Department of Theatre Arts will show the acclaimed musical “Saturday Night” at the University of Miami’s Ring Theatre.

Being the third play of the theatre’s 2015-16 season, this Hammerstein-esque spectacle comes from the innovative mind of Stephen Sondheim, the highly acclaimed lyricist best known for his compositions in “West Side Story” and “Into the Woods,” among other projects that have entertained audiences for more than half a century.

One of Sondheim’s oldest and most obscure works, “Saturday Night” was actually meant to debut during Broadway’s 1954-55 season and was indefinitely delayed following the death of its first producer. Forty years later, an ambitious effort that was alleviated by the Stephen Sondheim Society revived the seemingly doomed musical.

“Saturday Night” had its first performances outside of Broadway and has subsequently received somewhat of a cult following despite its volatile history.

“I think it suits us really well,” director David Williams said. “It’s really a remarkable show. When you look at it, there’s some really mature writing and it’s a shame that most people don’t know about it.”

Nevertheless, the theatre group has been working tirelessly to breathe new life into Sondheim’s hidden gem, which has been described as “fetching” and “tuneful” according to the group’s official website.

“We’re finding so much joy in doing it,” Williams said. “It’s about being young, having fun and growing up, which is something that happens in every generation.”

A majority of the musical takes place in the spring of 1929, focusing heavily on a group of male New Yorkers and their collective frustration over being single. In true Roaring Twenties fashion, “Saturday Night” tells the story of how one of these chaps attempts to rise high and beyond in the city that never sleeps.

“We’re actually trying to make it feel like an old-time movie – kind of like one of those Marx Brothers films,” Williams explained. “The story’s simple and easy to follow – a pastiche based off of 1929, so it won’t have music of this century.”

“Saturday Night” sports a strongly Vaudeville-influenced score heavily inspired by the legendary theatrical producer Oscar Hammerstein II, who was also Sondheim’s mentor and father figure. More influence from Hammerstein is readily apparent in the musical’s style of production, which harkens back to the simplicity of classic Broadway shows that are often regarded as culturally omnipresent in the grand world of arts and entertainment.

Williams summed up the importance of the film by emphasizing themes of growth and leisure, both of which he says are natural parts of transitioning into the bustling world of adulthood.

“It’s something to go to in order to forget about things for a while — entertainment in the true sense of the world,” he said. “We’re pretty certain the audience will love it and will leave smiling. Theatre is important and it changes lives, so there’s definitely learning to be had here.”

Saturday Night” will be performed at the Ring Theatre until Nov. 21.

Israel Aragon Bravo

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers called for economic policies and practices that embrace c ...

UM's Global Entertainment + Sport Conference brings top athletes, broadcasters and professional ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...