Commentary, Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes solidify bowl eligibility with win over Cavaliers

Think back to just two weeks ago, to the widespread panic and angst that spread across Coral Gables like a wildfire. Fast-forward to now and just look at how a program’s fortunes turned around in an instant.

With Miami’s 27-21 win over Virginia, the Hurricanes locked up its bowl-eligibility, which is crucial for a program full of young talent searching for a new coach next season.

While the Cavaliers haven’t had much recent success on the football field, the team came into Saturday’s game having dominated the Canes over the past five matchups. Since 2010, Miami was 1-4 against Virginia, but this weekend was a whole different story.

People may shrug this game off as a win against an inferior squad, but considering the Canes were coming off an emotional high with their improbable win over Duke, just getting the victory was all that mattered.

“I kind of got a sense early in the week that they’d be ready,” Interim Head Coach Larry Scott said of his team’s focus on the Virginia game. “I think the challenge of [Virginia] who had beaten us four of the last five [games], the challenge of the last time we played at home [against Clemson]and the feeling they had – we had enough there to grab their attention.”

Looking ahead for the future, this win also means the young Hurricanes will get the crucial experience that comes with a bowl appearance. Getting to that bowl also provides the team with a chance at building momentum to take into the next season.

We saw the opposite of that last year when the Canes were disappointing in the Independence Bowl loss against South Carolina.

Another positive is the chance for prospective coaches (if Scott doesn’t stay) to get more film on the current roster and see what can be improved going forward. It might not sound important, but for any coach to get a better look at the players is only beneficial.

Despite being in charge for just two weeks, Scott already has complete control of the locker room and instilled a very clear message to his team.

“No. We’re still talking about our goal. Our goal was to win the Coastal [Division],” Scott said when asked if the team discussed bowl-eligibility after the win. “We’re not going to muddy the waters of what our main objective is. Our main objective is to win the Coastal. I want them to enjoy this hard-fought victory, but we started talking about some of the things we need to start getting taken care of early, to make sure we’re prepared to go out for this road test we’ve got next week.”

If the Hurricanes even want to think about that Coastal division, next week is absolutely vital. The Canes will travel back to the Tar Heel State to face a resurgent University of North Carolina (UNC) side. UNC is an impressive 8-1 on the season and is coming off an absolute demolition of Duke this past Saturday.

Miami has certainly shown a complete 180-degree turnaround in the last two weeks, but next Saturday could be a step back into a harsh reality against the talented Tar Heels.

In the meantime though, let’s enjoy this bowl eligibility and football team that’s going to go out there and fight and compete. Let’s enjoy where we are now because just two weeks ago, we couldn’t go any lower.

Austin Sapin

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Miami Hurricanes solidify bowl eligibility with win over Cavaliers”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...