Football, Sports

Former Hurricane Allen Hurns shines in second NFL year

Former Hurricanes wide receiver, Allen Hurns, is making an unexpected – at least to those outside of Miami – splash in the NFL. In just his second season in the league, Hurns already holds the longest active streak for consecutive games with a touchdown, having scored six games in a row. He is also the youngest player in NFL history to record six touchdowns and at least 600 receiving yards through the first eight games of a season, according to Robert Bailey of Rosenhaus Sports.

Hurns’ success at the pro-level does not come as a surprise to most Hurricanes fans. In his senior year with Miami, Hurns set the school record for receiving yards with 1,162 yards. He was also awarded the Jack Harding Award as the Hurricanes’ most valuable player.

However, to the rest of the football universe his success may be deemed a surprise, considering Hurns went undrafted in the 2014 NFL draft. His fall in draft stock is often attributed to his relatively slow 4.54-second 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine.

After signing as an undrafted free agent with Jacksonville Jaguars, Hurns quickly found success in the NFL. In his career debut, he hauled in four passes for 110 yards and two touchdowns against the Philadelphia Eagles. Midway through his rookie campaign, Hurns was listed as the number two rookie to outplay his draft position, according to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt. Hurns ranked only behind Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson, another former Cane.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds, Hurns’ strong play can be in part attributed to his physical stature. He is currently the tallest receiver on the Jaguars roster, and his size allows him to compensate for his lack of breakaway speed.

Hurns can next be seen in action Sunday when the Jaguars take on the Baltimore Ravens.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com.

Tej Joshi

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...