Football, Sports

Former Hurricane Allen Hurns shines in second NFL year

Former Hurricanes wide receiver, Allen Hurns, is making an unexpected – at least to those outside of Miami – splash in the NFL. In just his second season in the league, Hurns already holds the longest active streak for consecutive games with a touchdown, having scored six games in a row. He is also the youngest player in NFL history to record six touchdowns and at least 600 receiving yards through the first eight games of a season, according to Robert Bailey of Rosenhaus Sports.

Hurns’ success at the pro-level does not come as a surprise to most Hurricanes fans. In his senior year with Miami, Hurns set the school record for receiving yards with 1,162 yards. He was also awarded the Jack Harding Award as the Hurricanes’ most valuable player.

However, to the rest of the football universe his success may be deemed a surprise, considering Hurns went undrafted in the 2014 NFL draft. His fall in draft stock is often attributed to his relatively slow 4.54-second 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine.

After signing as an undrafted free agent with Jacksonville Jaguars, Hurns quickly found success in the NFL. In his career debut, he hauled in four passes for 110 yards and two touchdowns against the Philadelphia Eagles. Midway through his rookie campaign, Hurns was listed as the number two rookie to outplay his draft position, according to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt. Hurns ranked only behind Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson, another former Cane.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds, Hurns’ strong play can be in part attributed to his physical stature. He is currently the tallest receiver on the Jaguars roster, and his size allows him to compensate for his lack of breakaway speed.

Hurns can next be seen in action Sunday when the Jaguars take on the Baltimore Ravens.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com.

Tej Joshi

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...