Football, Sports

Former Hurricane Allen Hurns shines in second NFL year

Former Hurricanes wide receiver, Allen Hurns, is making an unexpected – at least to those outside of Miami – splash in the NFL. In just his second season in the league, Hurns already holds the longest active streak for consecutive games with a touchdown, having scored six games in a row. He is also the youngest player in NFL history to record six touchdowns and at least 600 receiving yards through the first eight games of a season, according to Robert Bailey of Rosenhaus Sports.

Hurns’ success at the pro-level does not come as a surprise to most Hurricanes fans. In his senior year with Miami, Hurns set the school record for receiving yards with 1,162 yards. He was also awarded the Jack Harding Award as the Hurricanes’ most valuable player.

However, to the rest of the football universe his success may be deemed a surprise, considering Hurns went undrafted in the 2014 NFL draft. His fall in draft stock is often attributed to his relatively slow 4.54-second 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine.

After signing as an undrafted free agent with Jacksonville Jaguars, Hurns quickly found success in the NFL. In his career debut, he hauled in four passes for 110 yards and two touchdowns against the Philadelphia Eagles. Midway through his rookie campaign, Hurns was listed as the number two rookie to outplay his draft position, according to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt. Hurns ranked only behind Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson, another former Cane.

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds, Hurns’ strong play can be in part attributed to his physical stature. He is currently the tallest receiver on the Jaguars roster, and his size allows him to compensate for his lack of breakaway speed.

Hurns can next be seen in action Sunday when the Jaguars take on the Baltimore Ravens.

Feature photo courtesy HurricaneSports.com.

Tej Joshi

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...