Commentary, Football, Sports

Three takeaways from Miami-Virginia game

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku (86) makes his first career touchdown reception in the second quarter of the Hurricanes' 27-21 win over Virginia. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku (86) makes his first career touchdown reception in the second quarter of the Hurricanes’ 27-21 win over Virginia. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Hurricanes kept their ACC Coastal hopes alive with a 27-21 win over the Virginia Cavaliers at Sun Life Stadium. As the group turns its focus to the North Carolina Tar Heels next week, here are three takeaways from Saturday’s game.

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku is a playmaker

Just by looking at Njoku, you can see he is as physically gifted as they come. At 6-foot-4 and 244 pounds, he is a big and dependable target for sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya. He is steadily improving in each game this season and caught his first touchdown pass of his career on Saturday from five yards out. Later in the game, Njoku showed his pure athleticism when he caught a pass over the middle and nearly outran Virginia safety Quin Blanding to the endzone on a 58-yard reception.

“He’s a crazy athlete. He’s a true freak. He does everything you want from a big-time skill guy,” Kaaya said of Njoku. “He’s getting better each week. The sky is the limit for David.”

Njoku has serious potential and he knows it. “There’s always room to improve,” Njoku said. “You can never be happy with where you are at any point because that’s when you get beat.” Look for Njoku to get more and more targets as the season progresses.

Brad Kaaya is back

Miami’s star signal caller cleared all concussion protocols on Friday night and started for the Canes on Saturday. He missed a few passes high, but otherwise had a solid outing. This is a great sign for Miami, as Kaaya wasn’t himself after suffering a concussion in the second quarter of the game against Clemson.

“I’ve taken hits before. I’ve taken hits all season. That hit a couple of weeks ago, I felt different,” Kaaya said. “I didn’t feel like myself. My reactions aren’t as quick. My mental clarity isn’t as sharp.”

Moving forward, Kaaya will look to continue what has been a solid sophomore campaign. Even after missing a game, Kaaya is second in the ACC in total passing yards (2,132) and fourth in total yards (2,063).

The horizontal defense needs work

Saturday’s win wasn’t perfect, as the Canes’ defense looked vulnerable when the Cavaliers spread them out. Whether it was jet sweeps, pitches or screens, Virginia used the entire 160-foot width of the field to move the ball against Miami. In particular, running back Taquan Mizzell gashed Miami, gaining 91 yards on 18 carries and catching eight passes for 40 yards. The Canes had no answer for his backfield sweeps or short catches on the outside.

Miami still faces Georgia Tech and North Carolina – two teams that thrive off of spreading out opposing defenses. The Canes will need to focus on this aspect of their defense as they prepare for these pivotal in-division games.

David Cline

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Three takeaways from Miami-Virginia game”

1. ron thomas says:

The way the ACC does its 2 divisions is not logical. The only games that declare a champion for the division should be the games in your division. This year Miami plays FSU and Clemson.Most fans would agree that those teams are the class of that division. Last year Miami played FSU and Louisville (probably the 3rd best team).The argument that a team must play their natural rival in a crossover game is ok but it does not have to count in a division standing. The SEC does the same. Some teams have a definite advantage because they play a traditionally weaker crossover opponent. Who would you rather have as a crossover game – FSU or Wake Forest ? Shame on the SEC and ACC. You would think that men in such powerful positions could come up with a different way.

2. HL Coleman says:

The O/L needs a lot of work, physically they are limited. Defense needs a playmaker on the D/L. I like my Canes. We leave too many scores off the scoreboard.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...