Commentary, Football, Sports

Three takeaways from Miami-Virginia game

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku (86) makes his first career touchdown reception in the second quarter of the Hurricanes' 27-21 win over Virginia. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku (86) makes his first career touchdown reception in the second quarter of the Hurricanes’ 27-21 win over Virginia. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The Hurricanes kept their ACC Coastal hopes alive with a 27-21 win over the Virginia Cavaliers at Sun Life Stadium. As the group turns its focus to the North Carolina Tar Heels next week, here are three takeaways from Saturday’s game.

Redshirt freshman tight end David Njoku is a playmaker

Just by looking at Njoku, you can see he is as physically gifted as they come. At 6-foot-4 and 244 pounds, he is a big and dependable target for sophomore quarterback Brad Kaaya. He is steadily improving in each game this season and caught his first touchdown pass of his career on Saturday from five yards out. Later in the game, Njoku showed his pure athleticism when he caught a pass over the middle and nearly outran Virginia safety Quin Blanding to the endzone on a 58-yard reception.

“He’s a crazy athlete. He’s a true freak. He does everything you want from a big-time skill guy,” Kaaya said of Njoku. “He’s getting better each week. The sky is the limit for David.”

Njoku has serious potential and he knows it. “There’s always room to improve,” Njoku said. “You can never be happy with where you are at any point because that’s when you get beat.” Look for Njoku to get more and more targets as the season progresses.

Brad Kaaya is back

Miami’s star signal caller cleared all concussion protocols on Friday night and started for the Canes on Saturday. He missed a few passes high, but otherwise had a solid outing. This is a great sign for Miami, as Kaaya wasn’t himself after suffering a concussion in the second quarter of the game against Clemson.

“I’ve taken hits before. I’ve taken hits all season. That hit a couple of weeks ago, I felt different,” Kaaya said. “I didn’t feel like myself. My reactions aren’t as quick. My mental clarity isn’t as sharp.”

Moving forward, Kaaya will look to continue what has been a solid sophomore campaign. Even after missing a game, Kaaya is second in the ACC in total passing yards (2,132) and fourth in total yards (2,063).

The horizontal defense needs work

Saturday’s win wasn’t perfect, as the Canes’ defense looked vulnerable when the Cavaliers spread them out. Whether it was jet sweeps, pitches or screens, Virginia used the entire 160-foot width of the field to move the ball against Miami. In particular, running back Taquan Mizzell gashed Miami, gaining 91 yards on 18 carries and catching eight passes for 40 yards. The Canes had no answer for his backfield sweeps or short catches on the outside.

Miami still faces Georgia Tech and North Carolina – two teams that thrive off of spreading out opposing defenses. The Canes will need to focus on this aspect of their defense as they prepare for these pivotal in-division games.

David Cline

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Three takeaways from Miami-Virginia game”

1. ron thomas says:

The way the ACC does its 2 divisions is not logical. The only games that declare a champion for the division should be the games in your division. This year Miami plays FSU and Clemson.Most fans would agree that those teams are the class of that division. Last year Miami played FSU and Louisville (probably the 3rd best team).The argument that a team must play their natural rival in a crossover game is ok but it does not have to count in a division standing. The SEC does the same. Some teams have a definite advantage because they play a traditionally weaker crossover opponent. Who would you rather have as a crossover game – FSU or Wake Forest ? Shame on the SEC and ACC. You would think that men in such powerful positions could come up with a different way.

2. HL Coleman says:

The O/L needs a lot of work, physically they are limited. Defense needs a playmaker on the D/L. I like my Canes. We leave too many scores off the scoreboard.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...