Edge, Food

Satisfy both picky, adventurous eaters with this ethnic food guide

College is a time for broadening your horizons. But don’t confine your education to the classroom – Miami’s diverse ethnic food scene provides a great opportunity for culinary exploration. Whether you’re a picky eater looking for a little change or a food aficionado chasing an edible adventure, there’s a delicious dish waiting for you to devour it.

Thai

A simple and healthy appetizer option is edamame soybeans steamed in their pods and served with salt. For one of the most accessible main dishes, try pad see ew. It consists of flat rice noodles stir fried with vegetables in soy sauce.

For a uniquely Thai dish, order a green papaya salad. Unlike traditional salads, there’s no lettuce to be seen here. Instead, it is often prepared with a peanut dressing and unripe papaya shredded into a noodle-like consistency. If you can handle the heat, give volcano duck a try – just be sure you have a full glass of water to go along with it.

Indian

For a gentle introduction to Indian food, start your meal with an order of naan. This baked flatbread is tasty even when plain, but can also be seasoned with garlic and onion, or stuffed with cheese. For a main course, try tandoori chicken. This classic dish could be described as a curry barbecue chicken, and the mildly spicy sauce is perfect to soak up with a piece of naan.

If you’re feeling bold, try a pickle side dish. This acquired taste consists of incredibly sour and salty pickled lemons, often imported directly from India. For a more unique meat option, order goat kurma, a hot curry dish made with onion and garlic paste.

Greek

No matter how picky you are, you can’t go wrong with pita and hummus. The chickpea spread is addictive and endlessly customizable for different tastes. For a relatively familiar meal, a good option is joojeh kebab; the grilled chicken dish often comes with rice and a side salad as well.

If you like your steaks rare, take it one step further with raw kibbeh, which is made of either minced lamb or beef. The meat is mixed with bulgur, mint and oil, and eaten on pita. Those who prefer seafood can try something new by ordering marinated octopus head.

Cuban

Moros y Cristanos, or black beans and rice, is the perfect gateway food to Miami’s signature cuisine. Sandwich lovers should consider the medianoche, a Cuban twist on a traditional ham and cheese which is prepared on slightly sweet bread with pickles.

Cuban food provides plenty of opportunities to explore strange meats. Carnivores ready to stray from Cuban sandwiches and vaca frita can order such dishes as pigs’ feet and liver steak.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash

About Author

Madelyn Paquette

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...