Edge, Food

Satisfy both picky, adventurous eaters with this ethnic food guide

College is a time for broadening your horizons. But don’t confine your education to the classroom – Miami’s diverse ethnic food scene provides a great opportunity for culinary exploration. Whether you’re a picky eater looking for a little change or a food aficionado chasing an edible adventure, there’s a delicious dish waiting for you to devour it.

Thai

A simple and healthy appetizer option is edamame soybeans steamed in their pods and served with salt. For one of the most accessible main dishes, try pad see ew. It consists of flat rice noodles stir fried with vegetables in soy sauce.

For a uniquely Thai dish, order a green papaya salad. Unlike traditional salads, there’s no lettuce to be seen here. Instead, it is often prepared with a peanut dressing and unripe papaya shredded into a noodle-like consistency. If you can handle the heat, give volcano duck a try – just be sure you have a full glass of water to go along with it.

Indian

For a gentle introduction to Indian food, start your meal with an order of naan. This baked flatbread is tasty even when plain, but can also be seasoned with garlic and onion, or stuffed with cheese. For a main course, try tandoori chicken. This classic dish could be described as a curry barbecue chicken, and the mildly spicy sauce is perfect to soak up with a piece of naan.

If you’re feeling bold, try a pickle side dish. This acquired taste consists of incredibly sour and salty pickled lemons, often imported directly from India. For a more unique meat option, order goat kurma, a hot curry dish made with onion and garlic paste.

Greek

No matter how picky you are, you can’t go wrong with pita and hummus. The chickpea spread is addictive and endlessly customizable for different tastes. For a relatively familiar meal, a good option is joojeh kebab; the grilled chicken dish often comes with rice and a side salad as well.

If you like your steaks rare, take it one step further with raw kibbeh, which is made of either minced lamb or beef. The meat is mixed with bulgur, mint and oil, and eaten on pita. Those who prefer seafood can try something new by ordering marinated octopus head.

Cuban

Moros y Cristanos, or black beans and rice, is the perfect gateway food to Miami’s signature cuisine. Sandwich lovers should consider the medianoche, a Cuban twist on a traditional ham and cheese which is prepared on slightly sweet bread with pickles.

Cuban food provides plenty of opportunities to explore strange meats. Carnivores ready to stray from Cuban sandwiches and vaca frita can order such dishes as pigs’ feet and liver steak.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash

Madelyn Paquette

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...