Edge, Food

Satisfy both picky, adventurous eaters with this ethnic food guide

College is a time for broadening your horizons. But don’t confine your education to the classroom – Miami’s diverse ethnic food scene provides a great opportunity for culinary exploration. Whether you’re a picky eater looking for a little change or a food aficionado chasing an edible adventure, there’s a delicious dish waiting for you to devour it.

Thai

A simple and healthy appetizer option is edamame soybeans steamed in their pods and served with salt. For one of the most accessible main dishes, try pad see ew. It consists of flat rice noodles stir fried with vegetables in soy sauce.

For a uniquely Thai dish, order a green papaya salad. Unlike traditional salads, there’s no lettuce to be seen here. Instead, it is often prepared with a peanut dressing and unripe papaya shredded into a noodle-like consistency. If you can handle the heat, give volcano duck a try – just be sure you have a full glass of water to go along with it.

Indian

For a gentle introduction to Indian food, start your meal with an order of naan. This baked flatbread is tasty even when plain, but can also be seasoned with garlic and onion, or stuffed with cheese. For a main course, try tandoori chicken. This classic dish could be described as a curry barbecue chicken, and the mildly spicy sauce is perfect to soak up with a piece of naan.

If you’re feeling bold, try a pickle side dish. This acquired taste consists of incredibly sour and salty pickled lemons, often imported directly from India. For a more unique meat option, order goat kurma, a hot curry dish made with onion and garlic paste.

Greek

No matter how picky you are, you can’t go wrong with pita and hummus. The chickpea spread is addictive and endlessly customizable for different tastes. For a relatively familiar meal, a good option is joojeh kebab; the grilled chicken dish often comes with rice and a side salad as well.

If you like your steaks rare, take it one step further with raw kibbeh, which is made of either minced lamb or beef. The meat is mixed with bulgur, mint and oil, and eaten on pita. Those who prefer seafood can try something new by ordering marinated octopus head.

Cuban

Moros y Cristanos, or black beans and rice, is the perfect gateway food to Miami’s signature cuisine. Sandwich lovers should consider the medianoche, a Cuban twist on a traditional ham and cheese which is prepared on slightly sweet bread with pickles.

Cuban food provides plenty of opportunities to explore strange meats. Carnivores ready to stray from Cuban sandwiches and vaca frita can order such dishes as pigs’ feet and liver steak.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash

Madelyn Paquette

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...