Edge, Food

Satisfy both picky, adventurous eaters with this ethnic food guide

College is a time for broadening your horizons. But don’t confine your education to the classroom – Miami’s diverse ethnic food scene provides a great opportunity for culinary exploration. Whether you’re a picky eater looking for a little change or a food aficionado chasing an edible adventure, there’s a delicious dish waiting for you to devour it.

Thai

A simple and healthy appetizer option is edamame soybeans steamed in their pods and served with salt. For one of the most accessible main dishes, try pad see ew. It consists of flat rice noodles stir fried with vegetables in soy sauce.

For a uniquely Thai dish, order a green papaya salad. Unlike traditional salads, there’s no lettuce to be seen here. Instead, it is often prepared with a peanut dressing and unripe papaya shredded into a noodle-like consistency. If you can handle the heat, give volcano duck a try – just be sure you have a full glass of water to go along with it.

Indian

For a gentle introduction to Indian food, start your meal with an order of naan. This baked flatbread is tasty even when plain, but can also be seasoned with garlic and onion, or stuffed with cheese. For a main course, try tandoori chicken. This classic dish could be described as a curry barbecue chicken, and the mildly spicy sauce is perfect to soak up with a piece of naan.

If you’re feeling bold, try a pickle side dish. This acquired taste consists of incredibly sour and salty pickled lemons, often imported directly from India. For a more unique meat option, order goat kurma, a hot curry dish made with onion and garlic paste.

Greek

No matter how picky you are, you can’t go wrong with pita and hummus. The chickpea spread is addictive and endlessly customizable for different tastes. For a relatively familiar meal, a good option is joojeh kebab; the grilled chicken dish often comes with rice and a side salad as well.

If you like your steaks rare, take it one step further with raw kibbeh, which is made of either minced lamb or beef. The meat is mixed with bulgur, mint and oil, and eaten on pita. Those who prefer seafood can try something new by ordering marinated octopus head.

Cuban

Moros y Cristanos, or black beans and rice, is the perfect gateway food to Miami’s signature cuisine. Sandwich lovers should consider the medianoche, a Cuban twist on a traditional ham and cheese which is prepared on slightly sweet bread with pickles.

Cuban food provides plenty of opportunities to explore strange meats. Carnivores ready to stray from Cuban sandwiches and vaca frita can order such dishes as pigs’ feet and liver steak.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash

Madelyn Paquette

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...