Sports, Tennis

Miami sophomores play in two tournaments, Cane represents Poland in doubles final

Freshman Piotr Lomacki plays a set during Friday’s match against Notre Dame. The Canes fell to the No. 37 Fighting Irish 4-3. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki, pictured here during last year’s match against Notre Dame, made it to the finals in doubles play at the USTA Futures event in Birmingham, Alabama this Friday. File Photo

Three Hurricanes competed in the Florida State University (FSU) Disney Invitational held in Orlando over the weekend. Sophomore Kevin Bondar highlighted the team’s performance with a run to the singles quarterfinals and sophomores Nile Clark and Niclas Genovese also competed in the tournament.

Bondar swept University of Central Florida’s Arjun Watane 6-3, 6-2 in the round of 32 after receiving a first round bye. He continued his strong showing in the round of 16, defeating the fifth-seeded Sean Donohue of Louisville in two sets 6-4, 6-3. Despite Bondar’s impressive play throughout the tournament, he was unable to defeat Pepperdine’s Lautaro Pane in the quarterfinals, falling 6-1, 6-4.

Genovese and Clark both lost in the first round of the tournament. Genovese lost in three closely contested sets to South Alabama’s Tuki Jacobs. He won the first set 7-6 but was unable to continue his success, losing the next two sets 7-2, 6-4.

Clark lost to Penn State’s Aws Laaribi in two sets 6-4, 7-5. After losing, both Genovese and Clark played in consolation games.

While several Hurricanes competed in the FSU Disney Invitational this past weekend, Miami sophomore Piotr Lomacki participated in the USTA Futures tournament in Birmingham, Alabama. He represented his home country of Poland rather than the University of Miami.

Lomacki participated in both the singles and doubles brackets. Lomacki and American Jared Hiltzik made a run to the finals on the doubles side before falling to the top-seeded duo of Americans Cameron Silverman and Wil Spencer in three sets.

The match was tightly contested from beginning to end. Lomacki and Hiltzik started strong, winning the first set 6-3. The tides turned as Silverman and Spencer reversed field, winning the next set 6-3. Silverman and Spencer continued their strong play, taking the third and final tiebreaker set 10-3.

Prior to the doubles final, Lomacki and Hiltzik advanced to the championship with relative ease. They won their first two matches in two sets each. Their semifinal match was their largest obstacle en route to the finals, requiring an 11-9 win in the final tiebreaker set to advance.

In the singles bracket, Lomacki only advanced to the second round of the tournament. He won his first match against American Patrick Daciek in three sets before falling to eighth-seeded Alexios Halebian in two sets.

The Hurricanes next play in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship in Flushing, New York on Nov. 12-15.

Tej Joshi

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team cruised past Boston College, 5-1, to win its first AC ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

The University of Miami football team will look to continue its pipeline to the National Football Le ...

FIU plated two runs in the top of the ninth to take the lead and held on Wednesday, capturing a 5-4 ...