Sports, Tennis

Miami sophomores play in two tournaments, Cane represents Poland in doubles final

Freshman Piotr Lomacki plays a set during Friday’s match against Notre Dame. The Canes fell to the No. 37 Fighting Irish 4-3. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Piotr Lomacki, pictured here during last year’s match against Notre Dame, made it to the finals in doubles play at the USTA Futures event in Birmingham, Alabama this Friday. File Photo

Three Hurricanes competed in the Florida State University (FSU) Disney Invitational held in Orlando over the weekend. Sophomore Kevin Bondar highlighted the team’s performance with a run to the singles quarterfinals and sophomores Nile Clark and Niclas Genovese also competed in the tournament.

Bondar swept University of Central Florida’s Arjun Watane 6-3, 6-2 in the round of 32 after receiving a first round bye. He continued his strong showing in the round of 16, defeating the fifth-seeded Sean Donohue of Louisville in two sets 6-4, 6-3. Despite Bondar’s impressive play throughout the tournament, he was unable to defeat Pepperdine’s Lautaro Pane in the quarterfinals, falling 6-1, 6-4.

Genovese and Clark both lost in the first round of the tournament. Genovese lost in three closely contested sets to South Alabama’s Tuki Jacobs. He won the first set 7-6 but was unable to continue his success, losing the next two sets 7-2, 6-4.

Clark lost to Penn State’s Aws Laaribi in two sets 6-4, 7-5. After losing, both Genovese and Clark played in consolation games.

While several Hurricanes competed in the FSU Disney Invitational this past weekend, Miami sophomore Piotr Lomacki participated in the USTA Futures tournament in Birmingham, Alabama. He represented his home country of Poland rather than the University of Miami.

Lomacki participated in both the singles and doubles brackets. Lomacki and American Jared Hiltzik made a run to the finals on the doubles side before falling to the top-seeded duo of Americans Cameron Silverman and Wil Spencer in three sets.

The match was tightly contested from beginning to end. Lomacki and Hiltzik started strong, winning the first set 6-3. The tides turned as Silverman and Spencer reversed field, winning the next set 6-3. Silverman and Spencer continued their strong play, taking the third and final tiebreaker set 10-3.

Prior to the doubles final, Lomacki and Hiltzik advanced to the championship with relative ease. They won their first two matches in two sets each. Their semifinal match was their largest obstacle en route to the finals, requiring an 11-9 win in the final tiebreaker set to advance.

In the singles bracket, Lomacki only advanced to the second round of the tournament. He won his first match against American Patrick Daciek in three sets before falling to eighth-seeded Alexios Halebian in two sets.

The Hurricanes next play in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship in Flushing, New York on Nov. 12-15.

Tej Joshi

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...