Campus Life, News

Hurricane Howl sparks spirit, continues important traditions

The annual boat burning event on Lake Osceola took place Friday evening during Hurricane Howl. A University of Miami Homecoming tradition, if the mast falls before the boat sinks it is predicted the 'Canes will win the Homecoming football game. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

The annual boat burning event on Lake Osceola took place Friday evening during Hurricane Howl. A University of Miami Homecoming tradition, if the mast falls before the boat sinks it is predicted the Canes will win the Homecoming football game. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Hundreds of students gathered around Lake Osceola on Friday night, flashing their light sticks for the boat burning and fireworks that make up the annual Hurricane Howl.

See More: Boat burning ceremony predicts win against Virginia Cavaliers

This year’s Grand Marshal was Reggie Wayne, wide receiver for the University of Miami football team from 1997-2000. Before the event, 12 student organizations were given plywood to create their own versions of the Wynwood Walls for a new part of the Homecoming competition, the Hurricane Walls. The plywood walls were displayed next to the Homecoming Parade on Merrick Drive. According to Aalekhya Reddam, one of the chairs for the Homecoming Parade, the artwork was supposed to incorporate the artistic style found in the Wynwood District.

“We wanted to get the teams and the student body as a whole involved in as many Homecoming events as possible,” said Damian Brusko, one of the chairs for Howl. “We thought it would be a great way to let them showcase their creativity and incorporate elements of the university into the walls.”

Lauren Rodriguez, another chair for Howl, enjoyed the competitive aspect of her favorite event of Homecoming week.

“We have all been working hard to put on an incredible event for UM’s Homecoming this year,” Rodriguez said. “The walls were added in order to have a more Miami feel and to incorporate the University of Miami. This is was the theme For My City is all about.”

The boat burning tradition holds that the mast must sink before the boat for the Hurricanes to win the Homecoming football game, but the boat went down first this year. However, the Hurricanes bucked the tradition and still won on Saturday afternoon. The ensuing fireworks lasted about 15 minutes and were shot from both the lake and the top of the Donna E. Shalala Student Center.

Alumni who returned to their alma mater enjoyed the fireworks and the preservation of traditions during Homecoming. Alum Jesus Melendez recognized how energetic the atmosphere during Hurricane Howl is.

“The parade and Homecoming Howl events served as the perfect culmination of what I think of when I think of UM community and family,” Melendez said. “I continue to be amazed by the overwhelming love that is always a part of the UM community. Coming back to campus reminded me once more that no matter where I go, the university will always be a home for me and my fellow Hurricanes.”

Alina Zerpa

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...