Campus Life, News, Video

Homecoming Parade highlights UM, Miami relationship through the decades

As the end of Homecoming week came to a close, hundreds of students, families, faculty and staff gathered to witness the Homecoming Parade and see how organizations represented the theme, “For My City,” as they walked down Merrick Drive.

Over 50 organizations signed up to be a part of the parade, and seven of them had floats that will be judged as part of the Homecoming competition. The seven floats this year were assigned a decade to showcase how the University of Miami and the city of Miami were interdependent at the time.

Zeta Tau Alpha and Pi Kappa Psi were given the years 1925-1939 and showcased how UM was just a ‘cardboard college’ at the time, with partitions separating different classes in the Anastasia Hotel. SpectrUM-UPride, Council Of International Students and Organizations and Alpha Kappa Psi were given 1970-1979 and replicated a glider to mimic the ones at the Rathskeller.

The goal of the event this year was to highlight the impact UM has had on the city of Miami, and vice-versa.

“Parade is one of my favorite events because of the way we can truly demonstrate the inextricable link between the University of Miami, its alumni, and its surrounding community,” said Ishrpreet Singh, one of the Parade chairs. “In the parade itself, we have community organizations participating and represented alongside students and staff, and in the audience, we have community members, students and staff, and alumni enjoying the display we have put on for them.”

Besides the floats, children were able to enjoy the carnival rides, families ate from the food trucks available and everyone took pictures with the “Hurricane Walls.” The Walls were made by student organizations to represent the Wynwood Art District, another famous area of Miami. Many featured Sebastian or the beaches of Miami to show how much UM and the city influence each other.

Additionally, there was a photo ‘selfie’ booth and a sand castle with the Homecoming logo designed into it.

The event specifically was also important to those on the Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) since it was President Julio Frenk’s first Homecoming.

The lineup for the floats:
No. 1

No. 2
College of Engineers/EAB

No. 3
Hecht College Council

No. 4

No. 5

Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos

No. 6
SDT/Sig Chi

No. 7
KKG/Alpha Sig

Alina Zerpa

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

FAU used a six-run ninth inning to pull past Miami Wednesday night at Mark Light Field, capturing an ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...