Campus Life, News, Video

Homecoming Parade highlights UM, Miami relationship through the decades

As the end of Homecoming week came to a close, hundreds of students, families, faculty and staff gathered to witness the Homecoming Parade and see how organizations represented the theme, “For My City,” as they walked down Merrick Drive.

Over 50 organizations signed up to be a part of the parade, and seven of them had floats that will be judged as part of the Homecoming competition. The seven floats this year were assigned a decade to showcase how the University of Miami and the city of Miami were interdependent at the time.

Zeta Tau Alpha and Pi Kappa Psi were given the years 1925-1939 and showcased how UM was just a ‘cardboard college’ at the time, with partitions separating different classes in the Anastasia Hotel. SpectrUM-UPride, Council Of International Students and Organizations and Alpha Kappa Psi were given 1970-1979 and replicated a glider to mimic the ones at the Rathskeller.

The goal of the event this year was to highlight the impact UM has had on the city of Miami, and vice-versa.

“Parade is one of my favorite events because of the way we can truly demonstrate the inextricable link between the University of Miami, its alumni, and its surrounding community,” said Ishrpreet Singh, one of the Parade chairs. “In the parade itself, we have community organizations participating and represented alongside students and staff, and in the audience, we have community members, students and staff, and alumni enjoying the display we have put on for them.”

Besides the floats, children were able to enjoy the carnival rides, families ate from the food trucks available and everyone took pictures with the “Hurricane Walls.” The Walls were made by student organizations to represent the Wynwood Art District, another famous area of Miami. Many featured Sebastian or the beaches of Miami to show how much UM and the city influence each other.

Additionally, there was a photo ‘selfie’ booth and a sand castle with the Homecoming logo designed into it.

The event specifically was also important to those on the Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) since it was President Julio Frenk’s first Homecoming.

The lineup for the floats:
No. 1
Zeta/Pikapp
1925-1939

No. 2
UBS
College of Engineers/EAB
1940-1959

No. 3
ACS
Hecht College Council
1960-1969

No. 4
SpectrUM
COISO
AKPsi
1970-1979

No. 5

Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos
VSO
1980-1989

No. 6
SDT/Sig Chi
1990-1999

No. 7
KKG/Alpha Sig
2000-2015

Alina Zerpa

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Homecoming Parade highlights UM, Miami relationship through the decades”

1. Fabrizio says:

Wow that last float was stupendous!!! I <3 the 90's

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...